Chapter 1

"Lela are you even listening?" Rachel says. 

"What?" I said, not knowing what's going on. 

"After school, pizza place, you down?" 

"No I have to study for my history exam, I'm sorry." 

"You never hang out with us Lela, it's been different ever since the year started."

Maybe everything would be different if I didn't get made fun of for wearing the hijab. Maybe I would be happier with my life. I would be more positive. I sometimes fear walking, not knowing who's behind me, what may happen to me. My parents are getting divorced and I haven't told anyone yet. 

I head home and go straight to my room, thinking about what Rachel said to me. I log onto my Facebook and post a picture on my story, hoping that things will be different tomorrow. I hope to be a different person. I start studying while listening to music. I get a text from Rachel and see her outside my window. 

"Hey Mama I'll be back." I say, going outside. I see Rachel, concern on her face. 

"Lela it's okay, don't worry." She says, hugging me. 

"Rachel what are you talking about?" I look at her confused.

"You didn't see, did you?" We head up to my room and I log onto my Facebook. I look at the comments, and look at my hands, trembling. I get up and go to my bathroom. I wash my face and walk back in. 

"Lela it's fine you're beautiful the way you are, don't worry." All I hear is a muffled voice and I look at my previous photos without my hijab and see all the positive comments. 

"Rachel I have to finish studying, I'll see you tomorrow." I say getting up and going to the door. I look at my Polaroid photos that Rachel and I have together and I start to cry. I log out of my Facebook and continue to study, tears rolling down my eyes. I close my history book and lay down, crying. I tell myself, things will be different tomorrow.  I keep thinking this, hoping that everything will go away, but little did I know that it would be brought up at school.