Chapter 2

Knowing what I saw last night, keeping my head low, making sure no one sees me. I look up and forget about my locker and head right into the class. I see Rachel and sit in my normal seat. She tries to sit with me but Ryan sits down. I look over at Ryan and he smiles at me.

"Hey Lela, what's wrong?" Ryan faces me and looks concerned.

"Nothing Ryan. " I say, trying to hide the sadness in my eyes. He shrugs it off and tries to pay attention to the lecture. As class ends Ryan comes to my locker.

"Lela, I know something's wrong. I can see it in your eyes. Here's my number. I'm always here. We barely talk, but I like you a lot more than you think. Bye Lela." He hands me a piece of paper with a written note and his number. I crumple up the paper and throw it in my locker. Throughout the day, I think about all the things that were on Facebook and shrug it all off. I head to my locker at the end of the day and see Ryan's note. I want to read it and find out what it says. Ruffling through my locker, I put it in my bag and head home.

As I get home, heading to my room, and get my homework out and my laptop. I open iTunes and play my studying playlist. I grab my pajamas and let the music play out loud, knowing that no one is home. I change and go to the kitchen and grab a small snack and see a note from my mom that reads:

Hey, honey I know you'll be home soon. You'll have to make yourself dinner and make sure that you don't make you're father upset. Love you lots!
~Mom

Rolling my eyes as I read it, going back to my room, looking around my room, and start doing my homework. I look at my phone and Rachel texts me. I don't want to talk to anyone right at this point. I just want to be alone. I ignore the text and I try to continue working. I see Ryan's crumpled piece of paper in my bag and I grab it and read it.