Chapter One

Trees.
That's all I've seen so far. Countless trees. Tall, green, flourishing trees that tower over you, making you feel protected yet uneasy. The seemingly endless forests on either sides of the road made me feel like I was trapped. I'd always been scared of forests because of the unknown, the fear of never truly knowing who, or what is out there with you in the dark, dense forest.

 " Dani! " I jumped startled, the yell bringing me back from my day dreaming.

" Yea? " I said running a hand through my long, blonde hair. My mom turned around and smiled. 

"Dani, I was just saying we are almost there." Took us long enough, I was tired of looking out the window. My family was moving to my parents hometown, Richmond. They were happy to trace back to their roots and see everyone again. I was too. My parents had met when they were in high school and immediately fell in love. They married right after they graduated and began their life together. When they were 21, they had my sister Zoey, and then had me when they were 24. We were all ready to move out here and then my sister, who was always one for surprises, announced she was going to pursue her dream of becoming an archaeologist and travel. Well that may have been good for her, it was bad for me as now I would be the only kid in the house. She left two weeks ago. I nodded to her. 

 " So I'm going to be going to the same school as you guys went to right?" My parents shared a look and smiled. 

" Yup! Richmond High is were we met. Your mother was a cheerleader you know?" My dad, David said. I laughed, I could only imagine my mom jumping around and doing flips.

 " Well you were the football star that stole my heart weren't you? I had to impress you somehow" my mom, Claire exclaimed. They both started laughing but cut off when we drove my a large, red sign that said " Welcome to Richmond " on it.

 " We are here!" Claire yelled. I tuned them out as I looked out the window at my new home. It was a small town, but it was a whole new world for me to encounter. I noticed a coffee shop, a movie theatre and a bowling alley before we went by a huge green and yellow building with a football field. 

" That's where we went and where you'll be going tomorrow." Claire said. "Oh it's bigger than I thought."

" Well in comparison to the rest of the town, this is big. " David said grinning. We went around another
block until we pulled into the driveway of an old, yellow house with a white picket fence. 

" I love it!" I hopped out of the car. My parents had come by and moved in while I visited my friends before I left, so everything was set up already. We walked in and I went upstairs to my room right away. It was small, with a window overlooking the side yard and the neighbors side yard but I loved it. I got settled and unpacked the last of my things before throwing my pyjamas on. I brushed my teeth and then headed downstairs to the living room to say goodnight to my parents. They were cuddling and watching Iron Chef.

 " Goodnight " I said. They turned around and said goodnight as well. I raced back upstairs and crawled into bed and sighed happily. I couldn't wait to start school. Maybe I'd meet a boy and fall in love at first sight like my parents did. Although it was unlikely, I still liked to dream that I would.