Chapter 4

I awoke the next morning with my head on Finnick' shoulder, and Coral on his other. I bet he was loving this, I thought before leaning the other way.

Albert was sat on the other sofa, drinking some tea and looking at me.

"I'm not dead yet." I smiled, before going over to sit with him. He'd been crying again.

I was actually surprised at how little I'd been crying over the whole thing. I put it down to the trainee inside me, but Albert was better than me in the dome, yet he had so many emotions.

"Unfortunetly." he smiled, grabbing my hand. "Augustus wants us to be prepared for today or something?"

"I hate him." I said.

"Don't say that, please." Albert whispered, looking alarmed.

"Believe it or not, he's not as bad as some of the other escorts." Finnick said. I didn't realise he'd woken up.

"See?" Albert said.

"I wouldn't say stuff about Gus." Finnick said matter of factly.

"I'm going into the arena." I retorted. "What's the worst he can do?"

"Get you sponsors!" Finnick shouted, slamming his fist on the edge of the sofa, making me flinch.

Other victors started to fill into the hall, followed by Augustus. who's beard was in tight little French plants, and his eyebrows were now in long thin spikes going up to his forehead.

"Today's the day, old friends and new!" he said after clearing his throat. All the other victors had crowded onto the two sofas, and was listening to Gus. Jordie kept making small claps whenever Gus spoke grinning to Finnick. Jordie was probably the scariest out of everyone, his short brown hair stuck up in random directions, and his stubble framed his younge face, but for someone who'd been in the hunger games he was pretty jolly, always making jokes and being sarcastic.

"Now it's the turn of the victors to be reaped, in district four style!" he shouted as Jordie stood up and clapped, making Finnick roll over laughing.

I narrowed my eyes, as Augustus brought out a small glass cup which had tiny little sheets of paper in it, then passed it to Albert.

Albert glanced over at Mags who was on his other side, and she nodded with a smile. He picked out a piece of paper and unraveled it.

"It says Mags." Albert said unsurely.

Mags smiled and pulled his hand out of mine and laid them both on her lap. The pair of us clearly looked as confused as we felt, as Coral began to laugh.

"We've got so many victors, that Gus thought we'd do a reaping from the victor to decide who will mentor who." Troy explained, rolling his eyes. He always looked bored, and I was pretty sure he was for all this capitol stuff.

  "So mags is my mentor?" Albert said, suddenly looking much happier. Don't get me wrong, mags is lovely, but I wouldn't want her as my mentor. She was more of a grandmother to me than a trainer at the dome.

Then Augustus thrust the glass in my face, making me flinch. I looked around at the remaining victors. Troy sat at my side, staring out of the window opposite with an angry expression on his face, his dreadlocks trailing down his back. He'd know how to get me to win, but then I remember I didn't want to win. Coral was the only other girl victor, and the thought of a her being my mentor was reasuring, because she was more of a big sister than anything and I could get on with her pretty well. I'd known Jordie a long time, and he was so close with my mother. I'd definetly win with him. Finnick seemed awfully stuck up, and he was only a year older than me. I dont even think he takes the games seriously.