Chapter 1- Derek's POV

Friday. Friday's are ok, at least for me. School just ended today and I'm walking to my apartment. Work starts later -- 7pm.

Today was a gloomy day. The rain is pouring, and it's the middle of Spring. I didn't have my hood on because I would rather just let the rain flatten my hair. The rain ran down my hair and on my face. My light brown hair was starting to fall in my face. My gray sweatpants pressed against me, and I embraced the rain.

I hold on to my backpack straps, listening to music. Pop music. The notes filled my ears with sounds that I love. It makes me feel calm. I listen to my music continuously till I came to the apartment building.

I walk up to the door and lift up my hand. There is a gray button under a little lid, for protection, and I press it. There's a ring. Then Arielle's voice comes on. She's one of the security on duty and in her twenties.

"Hello?"

"Hey Ari. It's Derek," I say.

"Oh okay. Wait one sec," there's a buzz after a few seconds, and the door unlocks with a click.

I step inside and walk to the elevator. I enter and press number 3 to take me to the third floor. I look around the elevator. The beige walls are starting to look old and the carpeted floor needs some cleaning.

The carpet has wrinkles and pieces of unknown hair. The back of the elevator has a mirror across the whole wall. I lean against the wall, and wait until I arrive at the third floor.

I step out, and walk to the last door on the right. I grab my keys out of my pocket.

My keychain with a small picture of a golden retriever with a protector, dangles against my hand. Eli. My dog that died before my mom and dad did. I cling on the the picture, not wanting to think about what happened years ago.

I unlock the door and step inside. The air smells of dampness, from the wetness of the rain. I look around the apartment that I live in. All of the lights are off and the burgundy curtains are closed. The white walls are in good shape, for now at least.

The light escaping the curtains give off a glow.

The first thing I do is take off my coat and shoes. I place my bag on the table, and take my earbuds out but let them hang around my neck. When I'm done doing everything, I decide to give this place some light. I usually don't have the lights on, because if you have them on all the time, it costs more money. I didn't want to waste all of my hard earned money. That probably sounds like I hoard my money but I don't. Since I live by myself and have been for some years, I only have myself to rely on.

So, I just bought a lamp that I use most of the time. I turn on my black and white lamp. I sit on my small black couch, and put my earbuds in again.

I sit back and lie down.

* * *

"Derek wake up."

I move on the couch and stuff my face in a pillow.

"Dereekkk!!!" Someone was banging on the door.

"Go away..." I mumble.

More banging.

"What!??!"

"DEREKKK!!!!!"

"What the hell do you want!?!"

"Oh...didn't hear ya there."

"Course you didn't." I whisper in the pillow.

I slowly get my head out from under the pillow and sit up. "What do you want Ari? I was trying to have a PEACEFUL sleep for once."