Chapter 2- Derek's POV

A few hours later I arrive at work. Burger King. For now, I guess it's good.

I admit it's not the place I hoped for but, I've always wanted to be a chef. There's no jobs out there for chef. All taken.

I open the door at the front and walk up to the counter. There are only a few people sitting around eating. I check my watch. It's 7pm. Just on time. I'm in my uniform and I notice Farren is already there.

"Hey Derry!"

Farren waved to me with a big smile on her face. She was leaning against the opposite side of the counter. Farren had her brown hair, dyed at the end with lilac purple, up in a high ponytail so it didn't get in the food.

"Hi Far. How's work in here so far?" I ask.

"Really? Puns?" She taps her chin. "Well there have been customers and that's good. We also get money so that's good too."

I bump her with my hip. "Duh I know that. Never mind."

"Okay...well now we gotta wait for more customers. Starting now." Farren says waiting.

We wait in silence while the cooks are preparing food, behind us. Farren and I always go to the front counter and take orders. We think it's fun. The first time I met Farren we were both new here. After we started hanging out, we realized we went to the same school. One thing about Farren is that she doesn't like to be called a 'girly girl'. I guess you could say she's like a tomboy. We are close friends.

After waiting, for what seems a long time, we hear the bell to the door, jingle. Farren straightens up and I stand tall as well.

The customer is a woman with short frizzy brown hair. She walks up and looks at the choices to pick from.

"Welcome to Burger King. Can I take your order?" I ask, standing at the till.

"Umm yes. Yes, you can. I would like some medium onion rings and a chicken sandwich." I tap the screen in front of me, selecting her orders.

"Anything else?"

"And also a medium tropical mango smoothie," she finishes.

I tap the screen and reply to her, "all separate?"

"Yes please."

"Okay, that will be $9.27."

"Cash." She pulls her wallet out and grabs a $10 bill. "Here, keep the change," she says.

"Thanks." I put the money in the till.

"Receipt?" I ask.

"No thanks."

I give the copy of the order to the cooks and they start cooking. The woman steps aside and looks around Burger King.

Farren and I stand around waiting for customers.

"Today isn't a busy Friday," Farren says breaking the silence.

I breathe out a puff of air, "Ya, I guess it isn't."

There's another jingle and we glanced at the entrance. Farren and I switch places, as she's going to serve the customer. On regular busy days we would be working side by side, but since there isn't a lot of people today, we're just switching each time.

I stood against the counter with Farren beside me. She was ready to start tapping away on the screen. A man and a little boy come in. I would think they are related someway. The little boy is holding the man's hand. They both have the same kind of jet black hair and oval faces. They approach us.

"Okay Johnny, what would you like?" the man says bending down to the little boy.

"Um. Chicky fingy's and joooosssss," he claps happily.