Prologue

??? P.O.V:

"Come on, let's go play in the tree house!" I call while making my way outside the house, into the garden.

"Wait for me!" A girl runs up to me and taps my shoulder before giggling and runs away.

"Last one there is a rotten egg!" She shouts over her shoulder.

"That's not fair, you got a head start!" I exclaim and pout my lips.

All she does is laugh while she continues to run towards the tree house in her backyard. I run after her, catching up to her quickly. I grab her hand and drag her towards the tree house so that we can commence with our daily play date.

I slowly open my eyes, upset that the memory in my dream has come to an end so soon. I sit up on the thin, dirty matress on the floor and rub my messy bed hair to make it look a little bit neater. I glance out the dirt covered, slightly broken window to see that it's dawn right now.

I let out a sigh and get up and prepare for another tiring and miserable day just like all the other days of my life since I turned twelve years old.

"Another day being worked to death as a slave. How fun..." I mumble to myself.

As I get ready, all the other slaves that I share a room with begin to wake up. I wash my face with cold water from the sink and look into the cracked mirror above the sink. I stare at my reflection as I recall my dream.

'I wonder how she's doing. Does she still remember me? I wish I could see her again and run away with her. Run away from those monsters that imprison us and slowly kill us as if it's second nature.'

I put on a cleaner shirt than the one I was wearing when I woke up and leave the room so that I don't get in trouble for being late to work again. If you are caught going to work late, it results to punishments. And the punishments are absolute torture.

Those who get punished wish they were dead but they are not granted the luxury of taking their last breath.

One day, I'm going to escape this hell called my life. I don't mean committing suicide or getting killed, I mean taking back what the human race once had many years ago. If it means fighting to the death for that... then so be it.