CHAPTER 1

CHAPTER ONE

"Hello?" I said as I was walking through the front door. "Is anyone home?" No answer. I search the house until I find my little brother Sam playing video games in the basement. "Where's mom?" I ask.

"She went to get dinner, then to go pick up Joey so we could have dinner as a "family"."

"Great! I can't wait." My parents got divorced when I was five, eight years ago. Sam is eight so he doesn't remember my dad at all. He lives in California so we don't get to see him that often because we live all the way in Massachusetts! Joey is my moms fiancé, and I love him to death! Sam on the other hand hates Joey, because he knows Joey is NOT his real dad.

When my mom and Joey get home we all sit down and have dinner. we had Chinese food and pop, which for some reason were not allowed to have that often, so it was a great treat! "so how's school going Sammy?' Asked Joey.

"My name is NOT Sammy. it's Sam." Sam said angrily.

"Sorry Sam, I thought you liked that nickname."

"Well I don't! So don't call me that again!" Sam shoved his fork into his dumpling. all of us were staring at him, amazed by his actions.

"Hey Sam cool down, Joey didn't know. you don't have to get so mad. why do you hate Joey so much anyway?"

Silence.

"I don't know!!?" Sam stomped up the stairs into his room, then slammed the door as hard as he could. Mom walked up the stairs shortly after to calm him down.

"Hey Anna, thanks for doing that. Sam hates me. at least I know someone who loves me as much as your mother does." Said Joey, hugging me.

"No problem dad." I said. that was the first time I called Joey my dad. he looked at me with the biggest smile you could ever put on your face and he squeezed me tighter than a bear hugging a mouse.. ok that was weird but anyway, I was in a great mood until the very next day. when my mom and I got into some trouble...