Chapter 4

Jared sat in Vanessa’s room on her bed with his head in his hands. Her pillow was soaked from his tears collected over the past few nights. He hadn’t gained more than an hour or two of sleep in over 48 hours. He spent his days at the police station trying to get updates or see what they were doing to find his daughter. When he wasn’t there he was driving all through the city searching himself. Every girl he saw had her face slightly for a moment and made his heart leap. But it always ended in disappointment. When he was out of options and energy he came into her room. All their stuff had arrived from LA and he set up her room in a way he knew she’d like. It was the only thing keeping him from breaking down completely. 

   When he tried to sleep, he cuddled beneath her blankets wearing the flannel she always stole from him. When he found the strength to move and put on new clothes it was only the ones that she’d sneak away with and leave the lasting scent of her perfume. He was desperate and it was the only thing at this point. The emptiness was almost unbearable. He felt like he had been hallowed out. He tried to eat once but he swore he could hear the echo of the food falling down to his stomach. He had lost people before in his life but nothing compared to this. To being without his little girl.

   Jared couldn’t stop reliving it over and over again. The split second between looking away from her and signing whatever the fan had for him and turning back to see a large man dragging her away. He had never reacted so quickly in his life and chased after her and the van as fast as he could. But he lost them. He lost her. The guilt was ravaging him. He was supposed to protect her and he let them take her. But the thing that ate away at him the most was how they left off. He lied to her and broke her heart, made her cry, broke the bond and the trust that they had. Wherever his daughter was she was not only without him, but could be thinking he didn’t care. That was the real thing killing him.

  Tears started to form up again and they dropped in between his fingers covering his face. A knock on the door made his head shoot up. Every time he heard a noise of any kind he thought it could be his little girl coming back. When the door opened it was Emma, a friendly face but a disappointing one. She carried in a glass of water and a bowl of oatmeal. He walked in slowly minding his state and went to place the items on Vanessa’s vanity.

“No!” he cried out “Don’t put them there don’t disturb her stuff”. Emma almost jumped at the shock and his low tone. She brought them closer to him and placed them down on the floor at his feet. Before taking a seat herself. Jared noticed her shook up face and immediately felt bad. “I’m sorry Em, I didn’t mean to lash out like that. I just… if she comes back I don’t want I don’t know” He put his head back in his hands and began to sob. What if she didn’t come back?

When Emma began “you mean when she comes back, not if. Now you should really eat something” she put her hands on his shoulder and rubbed it hoping to make him feel better. 

“It’s been a few days with nothing. Not a single word. The police aren’t doing a fucking thing. I can’t find her. I need more” he lifted his head up and his eyes changed from the depressed look he’d developed since she was taken to determination. 

“What do you mean more?” 

“I didn’t want to admit that it was necessary but we can’t wait anymore. I hired a private investigator to find her, the police don’t know I did. When i find whoever did this I’m going to… I don’t know but the P.I. has a better chance”.

“Jared you have to tell the police so they can help” Emma insisted, in shock that he didn’t tell her about this. She knew she was just an assistant but they had been friends for years. She saw Vanessa grow up. 

“Em that guy could have been anyone. Looking for ransom or just a girl to….” Jared stood up and walked over to the window. He couldn’t even bare to think about it let alone say it out loud.