Bright Eyes

Illuminated by the thousand tiny fairy lights which hang from the ceiling, I make my way forward, towards the altar. I see my mother, her eyes brimming with tears. I smile and squeeze her shoulder as I walk by her. We both need the support. My knees feel weaker with every consecutive step.

I finally reach the platform. I turn. A buzz of anticipation runs through my body and leaves me shaking when I see the bridal party begin to pass through the doors, walk down the aisle and join me at the altar. My heart pounds so hard that I can feel it in my feet. I worry My heartbeat is sending vibrations through the floor.

Suddenly, I see her. The buzz subsides. My heart ceases to beat. My throat has caught my breath and refuses to release it. She is a vision, bathed in white and gold. She stands in front of me and I thank my lucky stars that the day I met her I asked her for the time. Only when she stands in front of me can I feel my heart begin to pulse again.

Her bright eyes are crinkle with delight and I feel myself being lost in them. Beneath my adoring gaze her cheeks turn a rosy pink. She takes my hand and runs her thumbs across mine.

The pastor's words are lost on us as we are captivated by each other in this moment, we are the only ones here.

Asked for our vows, I say:

"This is the first day of my life. I think I was blind before I met you.
I don't know where I am, I don't know where I've been but I know where I want to go." The corners of her mouth flick up and I look down to our entwined fingers before being lost in her eyes, once again. "I remember the time you drove all night just to meet me in the morning. And I thought it was strange you said everything changed. You felt as if you just woke up. And so, I'd thought I'd let you know that these things take forever, I, especially, am slow. But I realized that need you and I wondered if I could come home."

A small laugh escapes your lips and your grasp on my hands tightens. You take in a deep breath and say:

"This is the first day of my life. I'm glad I didn't die before I met you. But now I don't care, I could go anywhere with you and I'd probably be happy. So, if you want to be with me, with these things there's no telling we just have to wait and see. But I'd rather be working for a pay check, than waiting to win the lottery. Besides, maybe this time is different, I mean, I really think you like me."

I grin and reciprocate the tears I see forming in her sparkling eyes. Once again the pastor's words wash over us without avail. We are just waiting, longing, to say the two words which will spark the first day of our life together.

And, suddenly, they're here.

"I do."

"I do."