Agony

She ran. Her lungs full of cold desperation for relief. Her thighs screaming for mercy. Her heart slamming, trying to power her on. A rush of thunder in her ears. Or was that her heart? Were it not for the cold rod of fear fused to her spine currently she would be sweating. She pushed herself, not daring to look behind her. If she looked she was done. You never look back. Even knowing that her eyes dared to dart to the corner of her vision. It was a dangerous move when it was so dark in a terrain unknown to her. She fought the urge to crane her neck even a small degree. When you look, you die.

That's what happened to the others. In this living nightmare she ran to escape something she couldn't see. She knew it was there though. She could feel the little hairs on the back of her neck twitch. Remembering that cold dread that spread throughout her drove her legs to incredibly double their work. She had no finish line or plan. She just knew she couldn't stop.

She was starting to feel exhaustion creep in. A sob escaped her. This couldn't happen. She had to make it. She had so much waiting. Her foot caught something and she stumbled. Momentum drove her forward, bent at the waist so that her shoulder slammed into a something hard. She tumbled and landed on her back, managing to sit up without delay. As pain seared it's way through her body she caught a flash at the corner of her eye. No! She scrambled backwards as another sob escaped her. She felt her heart slam harder. She had to get up and keep going!

As this thought fought it's way to the surface it emerged before her. In this darkness she doesn't know how she's able to see it but she can. Edges of misery and pain. Of everything wrong that's ever happened in her life.

Pupils dilated as her heart stuttered. Her breath somehow left her and fear couldn't even be recognized in her mind because everything in her stopped. No thought. No feeling.

No escape.