Chapter Six

"Thank you," Sophie took the glass from Stefan's hands. She had sat down on the couch in the time he had spent in the kitchen. Stefan sat down in a chair. "I'm getting curious, what exactly went down between you and Caroline?" He took a sip from his glass, the colour of the liquid gave away that he was drinking something stronger than water. "Well its more between me and Elena." She looked down to the glass in her hands. "You know about the accident where her parents died, right?" She didn't wait for his response. "That morning I left for France, I had a summer course for advanced French, before my normal classes started over there," Her finger moved around the edge of her glass. "So I when I heard about the accident I was ready to get on the first plane home. But if I left I would've lost my spot at that school. My parents and I had been saving up for this chance for years, I literally spent every penny I had on it. So, I stayed. Me and Elena called every day. But one day she stopped answering my phone calls, and after 2 months I stopped calling. So, we kind of drifted apart," She took a sip before she looked at Stefan again. "Me and Caroline never really clicked. I was closer to Elena and she was jealous of it I guess. So, I think she jumped at the opportunity to make sure Elena was done with me." Sophie took another sip of the glass. "That is awful, it's easy to talk about someone who is an ocean away," He downed his glass, placing it on the table. "Yes," She whispered and looked from his glass to his face. "But now you are my best friend," She grinned and drank the last bit of water before placing the glass on the table. "You upgraded me to best friend? I feel honoured," He smiled and leaned back in his chair. "Well you were basically the only one up for the job. So yes, I upgraded you. It won't be a tough job, don't worry," She returned his smile, crossing her legs. "I think I can handle it. I'm going to fight to get upgraded to super best friend," His face was all serious for a few seconds, until both started laughing at the same time. "Super best friend, that job is taken by my bed, sorry," She giggled and stroke some hairs out of her face. "Your bed? I don't think I can do better than that. I'll just settle for best friend," It felt like her heart melted a bit at the sight of his bright smile. Sophie's eye fell on the clock. She quickly stood up. "I should head home, I don't want my parents to worry," She picked her bag up from the ground. "Need a ride?" Stefan got up from his chair as she nodded. "Yes please,"