Chapter 7 - The One

I somehow managed to fall asleep in his arms.  But after an hour or two, I woke up happily to see he didn't move an inch. "So all this pain because the label didn't want us together?" I asked. 

Face to face, his arm rested over my waist. "They would be more accepting of us now." 

"But...Lissy?"

He nodded and shut his eyes.

"She wouldn't like this."  I played with random strands of his hair.

"Like what?"

"Us together like this.  Away in a hotel..."

"I honestly don't care what she thinks."

I was confused by his comment.  "She's your wife.  Have you been unfaithful before?"

He snickered before replying.  "Before?  You call this being unfaithful?  We're innocently in bed with one another."

I didn't know how I should take his words.  I simply just put my face deep into his neck.  My lips sat there against his skin, aching to apply pressure but I didn't want him to reject me.  So I just sat there and let his pulse beat against my bottom lip.

"Shakira, I want you to be happy."

"I'm happy where I am right now."

"Right now in your life or right now in this moment?"

I giggled at the silly question.  "What do you think?"

"I just...I don't know.  And I don't want you to think you're crazy for saying what you said.  Or for making the songs you've made and creating the videos with all the symbolism.  You're not crazy or obsessive.  I've done the same.  I'm just much more discreet about it than you are."

I didn't know which emotions to take on as I finally was hearing the words I'd been waiting for.

"I never stopped caring about you.  I wanted you so bad to just forget though."

"Forget what?"

"About me."

I slid out of my position and sat up.  "Michael?  How could I forget what we had?" I asked looking down at him.

As he shrugged, I noticed the heaviness in his eyes. 

"Are you tired?"

"No."  He clenched his jaw.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm just stressed out."

"Because of me?"

"Partially."

I turned away from him and pulled back on my hair.  "Ugh."  I quickly hopped off the bed and began slipping on my shoes.  When I realized he wasn't begging me to stay, I froze where I stood.  I spun around to face him.  "What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing," he said looking at me up and down.

My finger scratched over my right eyebrow.  "I'm hurting.  You said you wanted me to be happy but I'm really hurt right now."

"Then come back on the bed."

My eyebrow raised.  "You holding me isn't going to solve anything."

He finally made movement and sat up on the bed.  "Okay.  So what do you want?"

"I want you."'

"I'm married," he said shaking his head.

I let his words sink in before replying.  "Yes.  To a woman you obviously have always loved more than me."