6 (PT 1)

~A month later~

(Mariela's POV)

I've been living with Jerry for a few weeks now. I decided to stay since I have nowhere else to go.

At first, I was scared of Jerry. I thought he wanted to hurt me. But as I got to know him, I realized that he only wanted to help me.

"So, Jerry," I said one day as we sat watching TV in the living room. "What's your story? You've never said anything about your past."

Jerry stayed silent for a moment before turning the TV off and facing me.

"Well..." he started. "I use to live with my mother and two siblings out in the country. I had a sister and a brother. My sister was the oldest, my brother the youngest, and I was in the middle. I was studying to become a doctor. Everything was going well until a man came and knocked on my door.

"He said he was an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. The man said he knew I was studying to become a doctor and that they needed doctors at S.H.I.E.LD. At the time I didn't know about S.H.I.E.L.D or any of that stuff, so it was easy for the man to make me join S.H.I.E.L.D. The man had talked to my mother about all of this, and she told me to go. She said it was a great opportunity for me. I loved mother so much, so I agreed to work for S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Why do you speak of your family in past tense?" I asked confused.

"You'll see right now." Jerry sighed and looked down before continuing.

"I worked as a doctor at S.H.I.E.L.D just like the man had promised. A year later, the same man said they needed more agents and I was chosen to be one. They trained me to be a great agent, and soon I was going on missions for Nick Fury.

"One day, Nick Fury called me to his office. He said the S.H.I.E.L.D doctors had created a serum that would give me powers and that they wanted to test the serum on me. At first, I rejected their offer, but in the end, they convinced me."

"So... the experiment worked?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yes."

"What powers do you have?"

"I can control the weather."

"Really? Can you show me your powers?" I asked, forgetting about his family.

He smiled slightly and nodded. "Sure. Follow me," he said standing. "There is one room I didn't show you when you came here."

"What room is that?" I asked.

"You'll see," he said as he walked upstairs, leading me to an empty room.

I frowned confused. "But you already showed me this room."

"Yeah, but I didn't show you the room that is inside the room."

I frowned confused. "What?"

Jerry chuckled and walked to the closet. He opened the doors to reveal the drawing of a door on the wall. He put his hand on the drawn door, there was a click, and the door opened revealing spiral stairs leading down.

My eyes widened in amazement. "H- how did you...?"

Jerry grinned. "It's called technology. Now follow me," he said as he led me downstairs.

I followed him and we soon reached a big room. It looked like a training room.

"This room is so big... How come I can't see the outline of it from the outside?" I asked.

"That's because this room is underground," he explained. "Now, stand behind that clear wall and I'll show you how my powers work."

I nodded and followed his directions. Once I was behind the wall, he walked to the other side of the room and pressed some buttons and switches that were on the wall. The lights in the room dimmed and he walked back to the center of the room.

People slowly appeared from the shadows but as I looked closer, I saw that they weren't real people. They were dummies.

Jerry got in an attack position and so did the dummies. A few dummies sneaked behind Jerry, but before they could do anything, Jerry turned and tripped them, then lightning struck the dummies.

My eyes widened as I saw him do this. He flooded a bunch of dummies with rain, "sunburned" another group, and made a tornado that swallowed the rest.

Soon all of the dummies were down and the lights brightened again.

"Training completed," said a robotic female voice.

Jerry walked back to the wall and flipped some switches. The ceiling opened and some claws picked up the dummies. Once all of the dummies were picked up, the ceiling closed.

"And those are my powers," Jerry said walking back to me, a grin on his face.

"Th- that was amazing," I said looking up at him. "I- I have never seen anyone with powers like yours."

"Well. I'm not the only one with these types of powers. There's this once chic..." he looked at the ground thinking for a moment before snapping his fingers. "Storm! There we go. She has powers like mine too. She's part of the X-men though. Anyway, what about you? You said you had powers. Can you show them to me?" he asked.

I bit my lip. "Well um... I- I don't know how to use them," I said quietly.

"Hmm well... when you were back in the tower when you weren't being mind controlled by the man, how did you use your powers?"

I thought for a moment. "Well... I was mad and... scared."

"Why were you scared and mad?"

"I was scared because I didn't want to go back to HYDRA and... I was mad at the things the man was saying."

Jerry nodded slightly and looked at the ground thinking for a moment then looked back up at me. "I think I know how your power works."

I frowned. "You do?"

He nodded. "Mhm. So I'm guessing that power you used was magic. And for you, magic follows emotions."

I looked at him confused. "What? But-"

"Just think about it. You were mad at what the man was saying and then BOOM! You blasted him with magic. Your anger caused you to use your magic," he explained.

"Oh..." I said quietly. I was starting to understand him. "So... to use my magic... I have to be angry?"

"Not necessarily. You can be happy and use your magic. Wanna try?"

"Sure. I guess I can try."

"Okay. Come here."

He led me to the center of the training room before going to the other side of the room and grabbing a big rug. He set it down on the floor and the two of us sat on it.

"Okay so... we can start by you thinking of a happy memory. And it has to be a strong memory too," he said.

I thought for a moment before sighing. "I can't think of anything..."

"Well, there has to be a strong happy memory that you have."

I shook my head. "All I can think of is my time HYDRA and... everything they did."

Jerry thought for a moment. "Well... There is a trick I learned from an old man a few years ago."

"A trick?"

He nodded. "Mhm. It makes you dig deep into your brain for lost memories or something like that. We can try it if you want."

I nodded. "Yeah. We can do that. What do I need to do?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part 2 coming soon :)