Chapter 3

Chapter Three: Exposed

After a while, Toren could bare no more of the sight of a corky, little girl devouring books like a mad man. I took the opportunity to discover the library in depth. I have read many things about this place, and the secrets it bears. The history of mankind is thought to be held in this very site. The notion of that made my body quiver. But I stood in that moment in time, thinking about the ways I could exploit that knowledge to better the cured and to advance in my studies. Although, all I really wished was simply to enjoy a nice historical read and discover for myself. If only times were not dark.  

The dim lights made my search thorny, as I had to look closely at all the aged bindings. I won’t even start to complain about the dust covering most of these books; I felt a disgraced for my own kind for they should be studying these inside out too. I snaked through the isles like a slow mammal looking for something I was not completely certain existed. It got complicated after the tenth isle for my eyes grew weary. I also started feeling quite dehydrated, which made sense since I haven’t had any water since last night. Damn you Toren, I thought quietly.

After a couple more isles, I spotted another sitting area with three armchairs and a loveseat. I obviously opted out the armchairs, and directed myself straight to the loveseat; more space room for my awkward long legs.

I must’ve sat there in silence with my eyes half closed for a good ten minutes. I thought, and thought. Where could those books be?

As I rested, I heard a couple footsteps pass. I opened my eyes to see two elders walking and chatting. Both wore long, white robes and had they arms crossed across their chest. They walked fast past me. I didn’t even have time to think about asking for those books.

I closed my eyes again, hoping the answer would pop in my head.

“Eden?” A man’s voice called from the second seat in the loveseat. I had hoped for Toren’s reappearance to come much later.

“Toren, could you leave me for a bit, please? I am attempting to concentrate on a forgotten thought, you see.” He didn’t leave; instead he came closer. A distance Toren never came to…it wasn’t Toren. As soon as I realized that, I opened my eyes slowly. Fear wouldn’t get the best of me, but embarrassment did. “I am so sorry. I could have sworn you were my friend, Toren.”

The boy next to me stayed silent, but smiled. I had a feeling I knew him from somewhere, or maybe I had seen him before. I wouldn't have been taken aback if he were just another, conventional person; but my mind knew he was not. This boy was far from ordinary.

There was something about him; something about those deep, bright blue eyes. There was something about the way he touched me with his stare, something in the way we connected. It felt unworldly. Although this feeling was more familiar than I thought...I just couldn't grasp the time and the place I felt it. 

“How do you know my name?” I found nothing else to say. I was on the brink of breaking down in emotions I had never experience before. He brushed his brown hair to the side, and opened his mouth to answer. He got me on the edge of my seat waiting to hear his voice. Before he could, though, someone called my name from a distance. Naturally. I turned around to see who it was, and there was Toren, interrupting again. Or actually, that was the first he really interrupted. I turned back again, and the guy was gone.

“Did you see him?” Toren shook his head, and grabbed my hand to drag me out of my safe haven.

“Don’t let this place drive you mad. There are a lot of weird things that go on in here.” He put his arms around me as we entered the real world once again. I wanted to ask him about the guy again. I couldn’t have imagined him out of thin air. There were too many details to him to fathom in a split of a second.