Chapter 4

Chapter Four: Oblivion

I gulped a bit of air and blinked my eyes, attempting to remain conscious. The idea of him standing barely a foot away from me raised a suspicious sensation in the pit of my stomach. I had spent all morning glancing at the library, hoping he would appear out of thin air just for my pure satisfaction. But here he was, right before me. 

“Clyd, what took you so long?” Toren looked at him, in a brotherly manner.

“I apologize dear friend. I had a hasty errand to make.” He grabbed his shoulder in sign of apology.

“Well I am sorry to announce that I must go make an errand myself, with Astrid, if she is willing to accompany me.” The beautiful dark-haired girl nodded, and got up at the same time Toren did with the finesse of a feline. They both marched away in silence as if they no longer needed words for communication.

Clyd finally took a seat right across from me. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him. He had a flawless manner; something you certainly wouldn’t find amongst the Rustics. He spoke gently to his friends, but did not say a single word to me. He didn’t even look my way once. I sat here; craving his attention like a child craves his mother. I had no good feeling about this boy and his marvelous, blue eyes did not do him any favor. 

After a bit, Nova and Tael announced their departure. I felt the need to say mine, but Clyd seemed to have wanted to stay.

“Pardon my manners, I did not introduce myself to you. My name is Eden Van der Buren. I am friend of Toren Welston’s.” I pronounced quite loudly, and obnoxiously.

“I know who you are, more than you know of yourself apparently.” He chuckled rudely. “I am Clyd. Just Clyd.” He extended his arm over the café table, and I did the same. It was the first time we touched, and all those things I was feeling came to life in an instant. I felt a jolt of adrenaline rushing in my bloodstream.

Time stopped. I know he felt it too with the way his eyes became wide and open. It surprised him as much as it surprised me. We stayed rigid in that position for quite some time trying to process what was to be done next.

I opened my mouth to speak, but words seemed to have left my thoughts. My arm started getting sore, and my palm began sweating. But neither of us let go. It felt as if we couldn't. My muscles wouldn’t move a centimeter, and my mind was apparently not present.

Thankfully, Toren came back.

“What are you guys doing?” As soon as he spoke, the bond broke and our muscles regained their will power. I looked at Clyd nervously. I mouthed, what happened?

His eyes shifted left and right anxiously, as if he thought someone was watching him. “I must leave, excuse me.” Then without a proper goodbye, he left in an instant.

“What was that?” Toren said, confused. “What happened Eden? Why did he take flight so quickly with no explanation?”

I was still startled from the explainable connection, but I managed to answer as best as I could. “We touched…and something happened. I don’t know. Please. I don’t know.” I began hyperventilating and tears soon after dripped down my cheeks. Toren got closer and tried to calm my nervous breakdown. People started gathering around us, and whispering loudly. Their eyes were worried, as if a sizable mishap was about to become. Toren got up when he saw the mass around, and began yelling at the crowd to disperse. None seemed to listen. They did just the opposite. People were pushing and shoving each other to get a look.

“It is going to be alright. Quit sobbing. Maybe they will then.” Toren became firm again. He picked me up and took me through the crowd as I buried my face in his chest. For a skinny boy, I was impressed that he able to carry as long as he did. He walked for a while before he reached a silent place, far from the eyes of the crowd.