Chapter One

"Listen, I don't know about you but I'm planning on getting the fuck out of this prison. I know how to, are you in?"
"Why are you asking me?"
"It's a two-people job."
"And what if we do escape, what then?"
"I've got some friends out there, on the run. We'll join them."
"We'll be fugitives."
"Following the law nowadays isn't the honorable thing to do, not since He got in charge."
"Fair point."
"Great, I'll tell you the plan once my friend has turned off the audio supervision."
"Well won't they already have heard this?"
"No, they only use the audio to find guards that helped people and stuff."
"Okay."
"So..."
"I never asked, what are you in for?"
"Attempted assassination of the King."
"Well that's slightly extreme."
"Meh, what are you in for?"
"Remember that chief of police that died a few weeks ago?"
"Was that you?"
"He's actually alive and well, I took the blame for his murder so he could go free."
"You see, the lawbreakers are the honorable ones in this day and age."
"He ran to Europe with his family and some close friends. They're safe because of me. That's all that keeps me sane in here."
"Well, we're getting out tomorrow, Brown."
"Good thing we are, Wolfhard."

"Did you hear that, Finn?"
"That's the signal, Sadie turned off the audio."
"Good, what's the plan?"
"There's a guard you may know, Keery. He's a friend of mine. He can get us out of this cell and get us guns."
"I don't know how to use a gun."
"Just point and shoot."
"Wow, thanks."
"Anyways, when we're out and armed we need to jump a guard and get his ID card. We can't get Keery's because that would seem really suspicious."
"Okay, got it."
"With that ID we can open the doors and make it to the hall, hopefully without any guards noticing. I've gotten Dyers to cause an uproar under the prisoners so all guards will be called to that, they may find the guard we jumped but by then we'll be gone."
"And then?"
"We just need to make it past the two guards by the door, over the fence, Sadie will take out the electricity, and then jump in the black van."
"Sounds like a really dangerous and quite possibly stupid plan."
"You in?"
"Definitely."
"Keery will be here in five minutes, Heathon got him an extra gun and Dyers and Montgomery will be distracting the other guards in ten."
"I'm really glad we're underage so we're not in maximum security."
"Me too."
"I think that's Keery, let's go."

Finn climbed on the bed, made a jump I didn't think was possible, and took out the camera. Keery handed him a gun and then extended his arm towards me. "Now shoot me, Finn. Preferably in the leg." Without even blinking Finn shot him and grabbed the key to our cel as Keery fell, letting us out before dropping the key ten feet from the guard. He grabbed my hand and pulled me along as he started to run. He abruptly stopped when he heard footsteps approaching. "Three, two, one, go." He mouthed, both of us jumping out at go. We took the guard by surprise and Finn knocked her out with his gun. "Grab the card, let's go." He yelled to me before scolding himself for yelling. We reached a locked door a minute later and he quickly flashed the card by the scanner. We immediately heard a lot of noise coming from the prisoners and a lot of footsteps moving away from us. Finn put his finger on his lips and motioned for me to follow him. After ten minutes of sneaking and me almost having heart attacks, we made it to the hall. "Heathon? Why are you on guard?" Finn asked as he saw the person next to the door. "Got promoted, little guy. Now go before Natalia and Dacre run out of material." Finn nodded to him and held up his hand with two fingers up, the dead man's salute. I didn't realize why until I saw the feet of the other guard, lying on the ground. We made it outside just as a black van speeded our way. We quickly climbed over the fence and managed to escape the guards flocking out of the prison to stop us. Finn pulled open a door and practically shoved me in before getting in himself.

"We can't just leave him there, Finn, he'll die." Finn grabbed my shoulders. "Millie, there was nothing we could do." I shrugged his hands off, wiping my tears. "He could've fit in the van." Finn sighed. "Millie, I could either take you or him, we can't take anymore people. The van's getting a bit full." Only then did I look around at the faces staring at me. Faces filled with the scars of war and a life on the run. Faces my age, 16, that looked like they'd gone to hell and back. Faces like Finn's. And I realized these were his people. "Finn, are you not gonna introduce us to your friend?" One of them, a boy with curly hair, spoke up. "Right, Millie, this is Gaten," the curly-haired guy nodded at me, "Noah," a shorter boy with straight hair waved at me, "Sadie," a girl with red hair who was typing rapidly into a beat up laptop swiftly raised her hand, not looking up, before resuming her typing, "and Caleb's driving," a darker-skinned boy looked at me through the rear-view window, "what's up." "Everyone, this is Millie, I met her in there and she helped me escape. "What was that you said about Charlie?" Noah asked Finn. "Charlie killed a guard to get us out." Finn said with sorrow in his eyes. All of them held up two fingers and I did the same. Dead man's salute. Quite fitting for us. All running, like dead men walking. If we're ever caught, we die.