Chapter 8

June woke up groggy, her hair matted to her skull as her eyes were puffy when she tried to open them, her body was barely able to move. Cora came in as usual and felt her head. "Oh dear" she said "You are very weak, you have a terrible fever Miss Offred......I should get Madam Serena." June suddenly grabbed Cora's arm and looked at her with hollow eyes.

"Please, don't get anyone, I'm fine..." June barely whispered. Cora looked at her with concern and sat her up on the bed. That morning Cora hand fed June, making small pieces of food and giving them to June. She could barely move, her wrists stung with pain and her legs felt like jelly.

"Maybe some fresh air will help you" Cora said brushing June's damp hair. All night had been nothing but nightmares for June, and her eyes began to show signs of wear and tear. She looked in the mirror and saw her eyes were now darker, the shadows around them making her look like a ghoul. Her skin had become even paler, the rosy flesh she once had now barely pink against the light. Her lips were chapped and were almost breaking, while he hair was tangled and a mess from fever dreams.

Cora opened the window and left quietly, letting June rest for the day. June felt the breeze brush against her and closed her eyes, remembering summer days as a child running through the country side. Her parent's always took her and Luke, before Sarah was born, to the country where June's aunt and uncle lived. It was a white farmhouse that she used to wait to see through the window when they would drive out there. The hills hid so many things, but she knew the hill that would eventually descend and show her uncle's house. He raised horses and pigs, both very exciting things for June and Luke to pet as young children. Her aunt had rescue dogs she would allow to roam free through the property, a fun treat for June when the dogs would have puppies that she could easily catch and snuggle.

She would spend many afternoons running through the golden fields and playing with Luke. He was so exciting back then, always protecting shy little June from any danger that crossed their paths. And now, here she was, trying to protect herself but never able to.

"Oh Luke..." June whispered remembering her brother. She could barely make out his face, just his long shaggy blonde hair and his smile...the rest was just a shadow...a shade in the mist of her past. Why did she allow herself to forget? Why did humans lose their memories so easily now? June had guessed it was because of their blood, their essence of life that was taken from them. Not only did the vampires take away their freedom, their hope, their lives, but the life source that came from within them was also being drained. Memories of the past, of loved ones, they were slowly fading away just like their own bodies....

"You look terrible" Nico suddenly said staring at her from the window. It was sunset, the few remaining tendrils of light flickering in from the window glass.

 "I feel terrible" June said not caring at that moment to keep her mouth shut "I'm going to die here if this doesn't stop."

Nico seemed distressed at the comment "Is there anything I can do?" he said gently beside her now.

"I wish you would quit doing that" June said slowly, her voice harsh from her sore throat.

"Stop doing what?" Nico said crouching down beside her so she wouldn't have to talk loud.

"Moving so fast...It hurts my head" she said putting the back of her hand against her pounding head. She looked already dead, her long hair spread out away from her as she curled up in a ball on the bed, the blankets being thrown around the floor in a daze.

 "I'm sorry" he said "It's sort of a reflex...I'm still not used to it yet, I'll try and slow it down for you."

"Thanks. Why can you go in the daylight?" she said suddenly. She was being very blunt from not feeling well. Part of it was from exhaustion, another from just being comfortable in Nico's presence. The other night had changed something within her, although she didn't fully trust him, she knew he would not harm her. It was a gut feeling, and she had always trusted that over everything else.