2

Our Human is just as interesting as Commander Grim has told us. She is very excitable and has deemed me her "smol alien friend". Our Human craves attention, except during the hours of 22 and 6, during which she spends alone resting or preparing for the day.
     "Helloooo," a voice says. I turn around and see Elsie, smiling and holding a small soft blob.
   "Oh, this is a muffin. Don't mind me, just have to eat. I'm quite confused though, how do you survive if you don't eat?" she asks, showing me this 'muffin'.
     "We do not need the biological effect muffins have." I say, powering on my interface.
     "Yes, but what keeps you going, you know, conscious?"
    "I don't understand."
  "If regular food and sleep is a battery to me, what is yours?"
    "That is strange phrasing but in response to your question, I have to perform a series of stretches to activate various glands to keep my body to continually work."
    "Aww! You live off of yoga!" Elsie says, her voice reaching a higher pitch than her usual one.
   "I only figured you would enjoy that fact."
   "I enjoy a lot of facts." Elsie replies.
     "As do I, but only about new things."
   "I'm a new thing."
"Yes, it is your species that I cannot seem to comprehend. It contains too many aspects to completely understand."
   "I can teach you about 'my species'." Elsie giggled. Her mouth was doing that spreading thing again, the one that displays pleasure.
     "Wonderful. Firstly, can you explain these shortened words you keep using?"
   "What? I'm confused."
"Yes! Ime and Yule and Weir"
      "Oh, contractions! They're when two words combine to describe an event or trait and you use them so you don't sound so technical."
   "Can you give me a list of these new words so I can relate to you?" I say.
  Elsie laughs.
     "Have I done something wrong?"
   Elsie is still smiling but she puts her hand on my shoulder.
    "No, on the contrary. Nobody's ever thought I was this special before."
   "How?" I exclaim. I can tell that Elsie's exaggerated expressions have already worn off on me. "You are very interesting!"
   "On Earth, there's loads of humans and lots of people leave for space, all the time. Nobody notices just one! And then there's the judgmental bit. If you dream too hard, you're crazy, especially if space isn't far away anymore. Most find jobs at travel agencies or space stations, but nobody wants to join Intergalactic Research."
   "Why is that?"
"They're scared of aliens, religion, leaving their family behind."
   "What are aliens?"
   "Like you! It's the earth word for creatures from another planet."
    "Why would they be scared?"
   "Maybe religion, fear of the unknown. I'm not sure why though, the worst humans will ever be afraid of are humans themselves."
   Elsie's mouth spreading has narrowed, but she has not put it away entirely. I do not understand this, but I have no time left to learn about humans. Tomorrow is our first exploration with Elsie.
    "I think you are very special, Elsie. And you are also that cute thing of speak of." her mouth spreads wide again.
   "You're very special and cute too!" Elsie replies. Then she tosses her muffin out and returns to work.