9

When we arrive to the main embassy building, it is evident that our crew seems to be visibly drained from the walk over. Those who are temperature-sensitive, like Ignalor, Elsie, and Mgjso, are displaying stiffer movements than usual due to the chilly climate. Those with negative photosensitivities are squinting their eyes as they walk because of the bright reflection of starlight across the barren landscape. Some of us, including myself, are simply tired from having been physically active for a long period of time. Those of us that are feeling more inclined to enjoy this walk are near the front of the group, encircling our more taxed members.
The embassy is large and covered in sweeping arches that end in sharp points on both sides. It is closer to the color of the coffee this morning than the 'red' of my skin. Most of the party seems to take in the Neuran architecture as we approach the entrance, but Israeb takes these seconds to lag behind and is passed by Mgjso, Jrue, and Fleurentine.
"Israeb, why have you slowed down?" I ask him.
"Quieter, Xil, please! You are shouting."
"My apologies. Why have you slowed down?"
He looks up at the cavernous ceiling standing before the gigantic main gate.
"Oh, nothing to be concerned about. I did not want to observe the architecture, that is all."
"Why did you slow down rather than speed up? You would be able to pass by the arches much faster."
"I am going to be honest with you, but I must say this quietly- I was walking too close to Mortar."
"Why would you need to get away from Mortar?"
Israeb shakes his head.
"Not away from him. I just wanted to avoid a conversation with him."
"Why would you want to do that? He is actually very polite and articulate."
"I seem to be nervous around him. I cannot tell which one of my instincts is causing this, and until I figure that out, I will refrain from talking to him in case I accidentally become defensive."
"Defensive? Does he want to fight with you?"
We both squint in the direction of Mortar, who is chatting happily with Jrue.
"I don't think so. But, I feel uneasy when I am beside Jrue as well. This one is different, less intense, but less trusting, if that makes any sense to you. Do you know if we are near any Pillutite moons? This may be a chemical interference if the gravitational pull of the Pillutite is interacting with various neotrine-based lifeforms." He pulls out his dispatcher and launches the map interface.
"I am going to research this when we return to the station because I am almost certain this must be the issue. "
He highlights our location and tags it with a reminder that should launch an hour after we get to base, during our break period. As he moves to put the device away, someone just out of my line of vision suddenly turns around.
"Eeyyyyo! What's going on here?" Elsie shouts. She peers over the dispatcher. "Mapping? Cool."
"Israeb is going to research Pillutite moons after we finish our business at the embassy." I tell her. She moves her head up and down and makes a noise that sounds like umph.
"Sounds cool! Agiofor wants me to tell you both to have your identification book ready for when we get inside. Apparently, there's some funky business going on with their mail system, and they can't get online to see what species everyone is, which they need in order to prepare food. Make sure your diet chip is out so we can get some snacks at the social hour!"
Elsie stops bouncing in place for a moment as if something has just occurred to her.
"Oh, sorry Xil! They'll still have something for you, though. Probably a trinket or something for you to take home. Don't worry! Israeb, do you eat? Either way, you should be set." Her face is hidden behind the mask, but the expression it is lacking is made up for by the movement of her hands. I tell her everything will be alright and the three of us follow the rest of the team into the embassy.

NOTE:
Hi! It's been almost 2 years since I last updated this story, but I decided I'd update it again. I don't know how often I'll post updates or for how long, but expect some in the next week or so. I didn't have much direction for this story two years ago, but I have some ideas now that I've reread it, so I hope something good comes out of it! Thank you to everyone that kept reading while I was gone!
-Olivia