nineteen

Jedidiah and Adam made Jacob sit on the couch, after he'd scrubbed his hands clean of Troye's blood for a good eight minutes, while they called Agent Tran, as he kept trying to go back out to get into his Range Rover.

"You're not driving," Jedidiah told Jacob gently. "I don't care what you say, but we'll drive you to the hospital. Maybe we should have them look you over as well, just to make sure-"

"I'm not going into shock," Jacob snapped. "I just need to see Troye. Now if you would be as kind as to-"

"Shh!" Adam hissed, and then quickly began to speak as Agent Tran presumably answered. "Agent Tran, sir. Agent Jenkins and I are still at Agent Bixenman's with Agent Bixenman. We were just curious as to why we were removed from the Meller case when we're perfectly capable of-"

Adam paused, his eyes flickering onto Jacob. Jacob simply looked away, his eyes falling onto his comforter that he figured Troyd had abandoned, "Oh..."

"Shhh," Jedidiah hushed gently.

"Gotcha," Adam sighed. "Okay. That makes sense, sir. But can we know what hospital he's at? Alright... thank you."

Like always, Agent Tran hung up without a farewell, and Jacob waved off Jedidiah's hands so he could reach the comforter on the floor, "Well?"

"Uh," Adam scratched his head in a stalling manner. "Jacob-"

"Tell me," Jacob clutched at the comforter tighter. He hasn't smelled it yet. He knew it'd smell like Troye. And he was terrified that Adam was about to say they couldn't have the case back because the criminal was deceased. But Troye wasn't a criminal. Jacob's heart couldn't handle it if he was deceased.

"He said the case got too personal," the dark haired man swallowed hard. "Since Mellet kept saving you. You're not being accused of anything... but he feels that it's for the best."

Jacob felt relief wash over him, but then the worry was spiking right back up in his chest. He still didn't know how Troye was. Didn't want to focus much on it until he was at the hospital with the man, "Let me up."

"We still have a bit before we go to the-" Jedidiah tried.

"I don't care that we're still supposed to be working, I left over an hour ago! I'm not an agent for the time being and I'm going to see Troye, goddamn it! What hospital is he at?"

Adam suddenly turned and strode into the kitchen, and Jedidiah looked after him in desperation. He wasn't too fond of being left alone with Jacob. But Jacob didn't give Jedidiah any trouble, simply buried his face into the comforter and breathed in deeply. Like he had expected, it smelled like Troye. But there wasn't hair tickling his jaw and face, wasn't cold feet touching his ankles, and there wasn't grinning man insulting him and softening the blows by snuggling against him, "Why the hell did he tackle Grimshaw? I had back up, why did he-"

"He was afraid for your life and didn't want anything to happen to you. What would you have done?" Jedidiah interrupted.

"That's different! I'm trained for that stuff and I'm about the same size as Nick. Troye is... he's a thief and he's tiny, he's not decent at combat. He's more about stealth than power..."

"It might seem different to you, but it probably didn't seem different to Troye. You were in danger and he wasn't going to stand by and let you be the one who ended up getting shot. He's not trained but he's got a soft spot for you-"

"He loves me," Jacob whispered, lifting his face from the comforter. "And I love him, I was going to try and see if he could stay with me. I wasn't going to turn him in."

"I wouldn't have minded," Jedidiah replied. "He kept you off our asses. And by that, I mean he made you happy. Not sure how being insulted and teased all the time made you happy but-"