6. Comic Books and Black Coffee

Chapter Six: Comic Books and Black Coffee

The rest of Hazel's day went on with knowing glances from everyone who sat at her lunch table and flickering brown eyes as she searched for any sign of Zayn. It wasn't as if she was waiting to see him again, she just didn't want him to catch her off guard again.

Yeah. Yeah, that's it.

As Hazel walked to her locker after the final bell of the day rang, she thought about how no one at lunch had realized that she was wearing Zayn's jacket, but throughout the rest of the day, Aspen's friends had approached her and tugged at the hem of the black hoodie, asking her tons of questions. Dillon was the main investigator, though, even though Dillon knew all the answers to her questions before the gray-eyed girl even asked them.

Hazel shook her head at the thought of the gray-eyed girl and laughed lightly. If anyone but Dillon had repeatedly pestered her about Zayn then she probably would've been quite annoyed, but since Hazel found Dillon so amusing, she couldn't be mad at Dillon. She just couldn't.

Hazel put her books into her small locker and closed the door, finding a smiling Aspen and an equally as smiley January standing on the other side of it. Hazel smiled back at the two and pulled Zayn's jacket a little tighter around her torso.

"You ready for detention, Haze?" January asked, her smile falling only an inch.

"I guess," Hazel shrugged. "I've never really been so I'm not quite sure what to expect."

The three started to walk down the hall as January began talking again. "It's not that bad," January said, smiling at Dillon as the trio passed her and a tall, tanned boy in the hallway. "I've had to go a few times due to the tardies that Drews gives me."

Hazel nodded and continued to walk down the hallway. Aspen and January began talking about how Shelley took the news of her baby having detention, but Hazel couldn't really focus on what they were saying because she was too focused on the back of a head full of gorgeous raven hair. Hazel tuned in halfway when Aspen began talking to her.

"Whatcha' lookin' at, Haze?"

The part of Hazel's brain that worked autopilot so well took over, and she answered with a simple, "Nothing." It was easy for Hazel to be totally focused on one thing but still answer people who spoke to her. Granted, the monotoned voice usually gave away that she wasn't all in the conversation, but the skill she had developed over the last year really came in handy sometimes.

"Bullshit," Aspen laughed, and Hazel still didn't care enough to look away from the way that Zayn and his buddies were pushing each other into lockers as they chuckled deeply.

"Why don't you just go talk to him, Hazel?" This time January was speaking to Hazel and Hazel knew that she'd been caught staring at Zayn. She turned her head to face January and a blush slowly crept onto Hazel's face.

Maybe Hazel could get away with playing dumb. "Who?"

Laughter coming from January let Hazel know that her attempt failed immediately. "You know damn well," the blonde girl chided.

Hazel flicked her eyes back to Zayn and his friends, and she found herself shaking her head. "I don't know what you're talking about."

January gave Hazel a disapproving glare, and what the blonde did next severely shocked Hazel. "Zayn!" January shouted, making the dark-eyed boy look over his shoulder.

Before Hazel could even think about looking away, his eyes landed on her and they scrunched up in a smile. Hazel's heart pounded in her chest as he raised a hand and waved it at the brunette. Hazel tore her eyes away from Zayn and shot January a look filled with venom, making the blonde laugh.