IX

"Annoying," I grunt pushing Corey off of my bed as I rise and look at the time. Time to get ready for school, just like every birthday.

Same as every year, after school today Sam told our parents he's taking me out and not 'giving' me back until Sunday after spending four days with me. His mission is to keep me out of school until next week because he does this with me every year. Since he got his license when I was in ninth grade at least. He was the one that didn't get their license until he was eighteen, as Corey plans to do. He takes me out after my birthday and we do a different thing each deay. He's crazy most times.

This year isn't any different because he has his apartment instead of the dorm he had to stay in for his first year at college. He makes it seem all fabulous now that he's twenty one but I really think that it's hard. I mean, to pay for admissions and get an apartment was a lot of work for him, I'm really proud of my big brother. Sam had to get two jobs to even start to think of the idea of getting his own apartment off campus.

"Dress nice, we're going to make people know you exist this year," Corey says and I shake my head.

Nope. No. Not happening.

I don't want to be seen that's why I fill my schedule up with all of my electives and have almost all of my credits filled up. Because I already filled all of math, science, and social studies requirements I only need two more elective credits and one more English/language credit to graduate. My class schedule is pretty boring this year; I am taking Psychology to fill half of one elective credits, Sociology and French IV to fill the rest of my elective credits, and English IV to finish out my required classes.

Corey watches from the floor as I go through my closet and he denies multiple things that I choose. Eventually I drag him out of my room and in my head I want to toss him down the stairs for being so difficult.

After he's gone I settle upon a grey t-shirt and a pair of shorts along with Carter's hoodie tied around my waist. It's simple enough. And who can judge me for a sweatshirt I stole, because that's exactly what I did. I stole it.

When I throw my sneakers on I skip down the stairs happily, on my way to retrieve my morning cup of coffee from my dad in the kitchen. But little did I know that when I reach the bottom of the stairs two hands reach out and grab my waist. His soft lips press to my forehead as I squeal in surprise. Carter only smirks and throws me over his shoulder.

"Happy birthday Charlotte," he says and I can sense the cockiness in his voice. Men.

"This is kidnapping! Put me down you baboon!" I shout and he chuckles beneath me.

"I'm a baboon now, huh?" He asks me as dad turns the corner to rescue me.

"Mr. Keaton, I'm taking her to school, can you take the boys?" Carter asks and I plead for my dad to say no. Instead he shrugs and I glare through narrow eyes at him.

"Dad!" I yell out in anger.

"You haven't left the house since two weeks ago. You need interaction with someone other than your phone and your bed!" Dad retorts grinning evilly.

Carter carries me out after taking MY coffee from my dad. He sips it as he walks me to his Range Rover in the driveway. Curse him and his stupid charm that makes my parents like him so much.