Part 2

The next day at school, I have a sinking feeling of dread as I realize that my next class is math (aka. last period.) I get into the class room and it seem that we get to choose seats. Alicio is already sitting down, and making conversation with other students. As I walk in, I catch his attention. Not that I want it though.

I sit as far away from him as I can. I take out my sketchbook and start to draw.

I hear a shuffling behind me and then the familiar sound of a chair scraping against the schools blue and white tile floor. I lean in closer so I don't have to see the figure that undoubtedly belongs to Blondie. I'm trying to shut out the sounds of the classroom the best I can when I hear a certain set of sound waves wangjangle their way into my ear hole. "Whatcha drawin'?"

"Go away, GL." I say not looking away from my sketchbook to keep myself from somehow saying through body language that he in the one person I want to be here.

"GL?" He questions. Obviously confused by my choice of nickname.

"Jesus. You really are thick aren't you," I say finally looking at him, " Goldie Locks." I say with an over accentuate eye roll.

He nods acknowledging my reasoning. "Well, in that case," he goes quiet for a couple seconds, I think he's thinking, "your nickname from hence forth is QMLK." He cringes after he says it, presumably because he realizes how ridiculous it sounds.

"What does it mean." I say forcing myself to sound board, although I am somewhat curious.

"It means: quiet, mysterious, loner kid."

"Yep. That's me. The loner kid no one wants to be friends with." I cringe at how depressingly honest that just was.

"I want to be your friend." At this comment, I finally look up.

Alice seems nervous. He's looking at me expectantly. He's gnawing on his cheek and he's fiddling with the hem of his grey shirt.

"Is this some kind of trick question? Did someone put you up to this?" All he gives me is a blank stare, "Why would someone like you want to hang out with someone like me?" His blank stare has turned into one of disappointment.

 "What do you mean, 'someone like me?'" He seems, almost, offended.

"I mean you're someone who is definitely going to be popular if you aren't already, so why would you want to associate with a loser like me?"

"Why do you think so little of yourself? And why are you always second guessing  motive? Is too hard to believe that someone would want to be friends with you?" His voice seems to be a little weaker than before, or was it always like that? It definitely wasn't that shaky. He's breaking down. This can't happen in public or he'll become one of their new victims.

"What if I don't have any friends either?" This hits me hard but I don't stay fazed for long. I have to get him out of here. 

I take him by the arm and drag him out of the classroom.

"Excuse me? Where do you think your going?" I just turn around and wave and I know he'll be off our case.

All I hear is our shoes scuffing the floor, our panting and his sniffles as we run through the school halls. Great, he's sniffling. 

I take him around a corner and into a bathroom, I check to make sure it's empty and them lock the door.

I  w a t c h  as he leans against a wall and slides down it.

I  w a t c h  as he hugs his knees, cradles his head and starts to sob. 

I  w a t c h  as he starts to laugh and sob and scream. 

I  w a t c h  as he starts to pull at his hair. 

I  w a t c h  as he starts to rip and scratch at his arms and chest so hard that he starts to bleed.

This knocks me out of my trance. I race to him and crouch in front of him. I grab him by the wrists and try to get him to calm down.

"Alicio. Alicio! Alicio! Alice! Blondie!" This seems to bring him back to the real world.

He looks up at me and his face is covered in scratches. I wrap my arms around him. We sit there long enough for his breathing to even out. We also sit there long enough for whatever crowd that probably formed has now dissipated.