Chapter One

©P.B. Panes 2017

I can’t remember the time when I see him smiling at me, the thought of being forgotten left an ounce of pain yet I don’t know how to explain to myself the thought of my father, gone. Gone from our lives, leaving us grieving for the memories of him that were so blur.

Mother would always say that he loves us dearly, that he cares for us yet I know she was also afraid to tell us that he was a selfish bastard. I stare at my mother beside me with my younger brother who’s holding her hand as we look at the tomb of our father laying here in the cemetery. It’s almost 10 years of mourning yet my mother seems can’t move on. Ten years of grieving and until now I can’t comprehend whether to cry or to hate him for leaving us with nothing.

Gloom was the thing I felt back when I was ten years old after I went back home from school. Seeing my mom crying as she hugs my father’s favorite hat while my brother who lays in the crib was left crying for attention and I know something was wrong. I don’t know if I will hate her for giving up on dad, for leaving him for small amount of money in the hospital. I guess being poor has its perks because until now I can’t forget that she sold dad’s corpse after a week in the hospital because we can’t pay for all the bills.

I tried to run that day to the hospital to see the last remains of my father yet I was too late, too late to run after the vehicle where he was settled. I tried to clear my mind and forget that day because whether I like it or not I can’t bring back everything.

“Let’s go home, mom.” I said after several minutes of silence resonating among us. I hold her hand, assuring her that everything is fine and I know behind her smile, she is breaking. The woman who was once a beautiful now looks tired and old, doubling the years after the death of her husband.

……….

“I believe you have something to tell me Andrei?” Chewing the remaining food, I look at my brother and I know he was nervous to tell us what he had done in school after his teacher called me to inform that he was in a fight again.

“I don’t know what you are talking Angela.” He said quietly which only evoke my temper at his reply. At twelve years old, he looks at least 17 years old and I know he was bullied which I heard from him years ago after I went to the principal office and today I was called again for his behavior.

“You teacher again called me because you were in a fight, I was also called and I was thankful that Mr. Nook didn’t expelled you for your behavior! We already talked about this Andrei, why can you stay away from it?” I sigh putting my spoon and fork on my plate and look at him disapprovingly. I was also grateful that our mother left a while ago, leaving the two of us alone in this house because of her work as a nanny to one of her friends and I don’t want to add this problem to her aside from the bills we had to pay at the end of this month.

I guess, I must find a work to help my mother soon.

“You know I can’t do that sister, they always bully me that test my temper and I don’t want them to disrespect our family!” He stood up after leaving his food in the table as he clenches his fist in anger. I tried to catch up with him but my phone rings, halting me.

With a sigh, I heard my brother’s door shuts loudly as I take my phone on the table and hit the answer button.

‘Hello?’ I ask, nervous and trepid.

‘Is this Ms. Campbell?’ A woman in mid-thirties asks on the other end and I immediately answer, ‘Yes, this is her.’

‘Good evening Ms. Campbell, I am here to inform you that you were hired to be the tutor of Mrs. Regnante’s daughter. Please be with us tomorrow at 9 AM in the morning for further information.’ I restrained myself from shrieking in joy as I held my phone listening for other instruction given to me by the caller whose name is Jenna and after saying our goodbyes, I almost jump in joy at the thought of earning money for all the bills in our house and I know mom will be happy after hearing my news. I clutch my phone in my chest with a smile because of the good thing happens to my day.

I guess, luck is on me this time.

After clearing the dishes in the kitchen, I proceed to my bedroom smiling in glee looking forward for my day. I didn’t go to Andrei’s room because he is sleeping already and I know he also needed space to clear his mind.

At age of twelve, he looks mature compare to other kids in his age. I guess problems responsively affects one’s attitude because like him, I also suffered from it when I was in high school and right now, I was thankful that I had survived any of it until I finished Bachelor in Education at the community college. Bracing myself after all those years, I guess I matured early.

As a fresh graduate, it is difficult for me to find work and for the meantime, I’ll do tutoring to add to my experiences for my future job as a teacher.

I wonder what would be the family I will be working on yet I can’t picture them out in my head until I meet them tomorrow. I will sleep for now to ready myself and dreaming a prosperous life in the future after this opportunity given to me.

At 5AM, I was already starting to ready everything for Andrei before he goes to school. Starting with our breakfast and cleaning the backyard and the mess in our small house which stands still since I grew up. Exactly 6AM, Andrei is already waking up and in his uniform as he goes to the kitchen before he eats his meal. We only had a couple of conversation and I didn’t ask more, giving him the peace of mind.

Exactly 8:45AM, I was standing in a big black gate that Jenna indicated to me yesterday. I look up at the address twice to ensure that I was in the right place and when I was certain, I press the doorbell twice, ignoring the heat of the sun and the exhaustion I felt after thirty minutes of walking in this place after the bus brought me here.

Readying myself, I straighten my grey skirt which reaches just at my knees and my white blouse to match my outfit. I ensured to look as professional as ever in my first day of work and I was thankful that I wore my flats instead because if ever I wore my 3-inches heel, I will surely suffer from a lot of pain and bruises because of walking. I also can’t afford a cab because of the bills we needed to pay and it is better to save money for the meantime.

Several seconds passed and a guard opens the smaller gate that accommodate a person on the left of the bigger one. Giving my ID and the statement left to me by Jenna, the guard led me inside after checking my bag.

If the outside looks opulence just by looking at the big black gate, the inside was much more breathtaking. A big mansion settles a hundred meter from us and I was in awe just by looking at it and I am sure who lives at that house is very rich to have this house and surprisingly my client is one of it. Taking more air inside my lungs to relax myself and gain my composure, I follow the guard who led me to a man in suit waiting near the mansion. Looking up at him terrifies me because of his built like the one I see at some bar and I can’t see his eyes because of the shades he was wearing. I tried to compose myself by smiling at him yet he doesn’t acknowledge my presence as he nods at the guard who led me to him.

“This way, ma’am” Ignoring the annoying feeling inside me with a mix of anxiety, I follow him as he leads me to the entrance of the mansion.

Owning You 2017

Please vote and comment.