*Chapter 3: Dancing Queen

A/N Reminder: This story takes place in the winter of 2013, Christmastime of 2013 to be exact. So, the Midnight Memories album just recently came out when this story begins. Hope that clears any questions up if they come up during this chapter. Enjoy!

----------

Courtney

So far, I’ve had a great time at the cabin (even though we’ve only been here for less than a day). So what have I been doing? Oh, the usual; playing pool, getting into fights, and getting drunk.

Relax, I’m kidding! I know half of the people here would murder me if I did. What I’ve actually been doing is practicing my dancing. We have a winter recital at my studio just after winter break is over, and I’m actually missing one of the final practices. So, to make up for it, I promised my instructor, Ellie, that I would practice while I was at the cabin.

So, after I stocked up my room with a few snacks and a water bottle or two, I locked the door and played the music I was dancing to. I got into the starting position and ran through the routine multiple times.

I didn’t even know how long I was down there until Niall knocked on my door. “Courtney!” he called through the door.

I stopped the music and looked over at the door. “Yeah? What is it, Niall?”

“It’s dinnertime,” Niall said. “Harry took over the kitchen and made something for everyone.”

I went to the door and unlocked it, opening it up. “He did?”

“Yeah,” Niall said. “We’re all waiting for you, though. It’s been ready for ten minutes. Simone screamed for you to get up there.”

“How the heck did I not hear that?” I mumbled. I knew Simone, and I knew she could scream loudly. Not only could she scream loudly, but she could scream at a frequency that could probably shatter glass.

Niall shrugged. “Are you coming?”

“Yeah, I’m coming,” I said, and went past him up the stairs to the first floor.

As I reached the landing, everyone looked in my direction. Most of the people were sitting at the long table already, except for Harry, who was putting the food on plates, and Ana and Kelly, who were standing nearby to help bring it over. “There she is,” Liam said, looking at me with a smile.

“What were you doing down there? Simone screamed for you to get up here,” Lucy asked, sounding shocked.

“Practicing. I promised Ellie I’d practice while I was up here. The quicker I get the practice done, the quicker I can really enjoy the trip,” I explained, sitting down at the table.

“What are you practicing for?” Michael asked.

“You know this, Mikey,” I said, smirking a bit at the use of the pet name. He gave me a glare, but I shook it off. “I always have the winter recital. Normally it’s the Christmas pageant, but they changed it to a date after break so everyone could go. But, I’m missing some of the last rehearsals, so I have to practice.”

“Makes sense,” Michael mused.

I nodded. “Let’s eat, then!”

Ana and Kelly helped Harry set out the dinner he had made for us before they took a seat at the table. We all began to eat, chatting with each other around the long dinner table.

“So, how’s life been for you guys?” Ana asked the guys as she took a bite of her meal.

“It’s been pretty good,” Zayn told us, smiling. “We were working pretty hard on our album for the past few months, though.” The girls and I all grinned. My mind immediately went to my favorite song from the album.