Chapter 3

The next few days were rather peaceful. The house actually stayed clean for more than a few hours and there was a severe lack of fighting amongst the family. It was just the fact that Robert wasn't there and everyone in the house was more relaxed. Sophia had actually gotten a full nights sleep because she didn't have to clean up after the slob that was her stepfather.

But that was a short-lived experience...

It was about 11 pm and Sophia was on her way back from the dinner where she spent most of her nights working to help pay the mortgage and other bills that Robert was supposed to take care of, but never did. While her mother wasted away her checks on spoiling all the other children and ignoring Sophia as per usual.

As she walked down the street a cheap pair of earbuds clouding her senses, keeping her unaware of the things around her, music blaring through the small speakers as she continued to walk. It wasn't until she looked at the trailer seeing her older brother Brian outside smoking. This usually meant that Robert and her mother Maria were fighting, again.

"What's it about this time?" She asked the brunette while he was exhaling a large puff of smoke. Taking out one of the earbuds so she could hear his answer and even pausing the music at the same time.

"You." Was his simple answer.

"What? Again? What did I do wrong this time?" She asked an annoyed expression crossing her face.

"Apparently Robert thinks you turned him in for the leak in his break lines that he refuses to fix" He replied taking another long drag from the cancer stick in his hand.

"What? Really?" Sophia cocked an eyebrow at him. "Why would I do something like that?"

"I don't know he still has it in his head that you're out to get him." Ashing the stick towards the ground he looked at her through his amber eyes.

Sophia heaved a sigh before sliding past her brother to head inside.

"I'm home!" she called out as she walked into the living room. Hearing her parents ruckus in the kitchen. She just tried to ignore it though as she sat down on the couch and pulled out the notebook in order to start her homework. She didn't have a room she could go hide in. She slept on the couch. That was normal for her. Most of the other rooms were taken. Brian shared a room with James, Jazmine got her own room, and Mom and Robert share a room. She was always stuck on the couch. But she had gotten used to it at this point. The only thing she didn't really like about it is that she couldn't really hide in this kind of situations

"Leave her be and stay here Robert we need to sit down and talk about this. I don't want you lay another hand on her" Maria snapped at Robert who was about to barge his way into the living room to give Sophia a piece of his mind. Whatever there was left of it anyways.

"Oh well, aren't you a saint Maria. You've hurt that bitch far more times than I have so don't try acting all high and mighty now like you are fucking god or something!" Robert snapped back.

Sophia cringed lightly at the argument happening. She would say that she did fear her mother more than Robert. There had been many times that Maria had hurt Sophia, and Robert was right about her doing it more often than him. It was hard to admit that he was right about something though...

But it was true.

There had many nights that maria misplaced her anger because Robert left the house before she could do anything about her anger. So Instead she would come into the living room where Sophia slept in order to vent to her oldest daughter and one of the few in the household who understood Maria's frustrations with Robert. But any time it was a situation that Maria started, and Sophia had tried to play neutral In the situation and not take anyone sides. The anger in her mother would snap, using that, impossible strength that Maria held for a human. Throwing Sophia around like she was a very small rag doll that a child played with.