one

i sighed and sat up in bed, after looking around my room a few times i glanced over at my digital alarm clock and saw that it read 5:37 am. i sighed again and switched on the tv. channel 4 news came on and it began talking about the weather for this week...it's gonna be raining and gloomy...and finish off with a huge storm.

i picked up my iphone 5 and saw that the time just turned to 5:38 am. i groaned and swung my bare legs over to the side of my bed and stood up. i made sure to walk softly on my way to my bathroom.

this house is so old and creaky. if someone drops a potato chip the floorboards will creak.

i shut and locked the bathroom door and began washing my face and brushing my teeth. afterwords i dried my face and looked at myself in the mirror.

i took my lilac coloured hair out if it's messy bun and began to softly brush through it with my fingers. once all the knots were out i grabbed two hair ties and started loosely braiding half my hair. i secured it with a hair tie and did the same on the other side. this is my signature hairstyle.

i walked out the the bathroom and turned on my main light. i started rummaging through my drawers to try to fine something clean to wear to school. after five minutes of searching i finally found an old pair of ripped jeans and my signature plain black pullover hoodie, after i got dressed i made a mental note to do some laundry when i get home. i threw on my pair of chucks and started doing my makeup. just some mascara and chapstick, i sprayed on some body spray and walked out of my room after fetching my backpack and shutting off my light.

i made my way downstairs and saw dad sitting on the couch staring blankly at the tv.

"dad-"

"did you hear? someone escaped from the mental hospital. the one that's a few ways outside of town."

"oh. who?"

"i don't know. she escaped in the middle of the night though. there's probably gonna be a town meeting later tonight. stay safe on your way to school." he told me with his eyes still locked on the tv. i nodded and kissed his cheek before leaving the house.

i pulled my hood up and put in the headphone that works then plugged it into my phone. i hit shuffle on my spotify playlist. after listening to the thirty second ad #icaneven by the neighbourhood came on. i slipped my phone into pocket and continued on my walk to the little cafe shop that i got to every morning to get a large hot chocolate and a chocolate chip cookie.

i held my breath as i walked past the dolans house. i'm so scared of them. especially their son grayson dolan. he's a complete freak, he sits on the roof all night and just draws or writes. i don't know for sure but he always has a notebook, a pen and a bottle of some type of alcohol.

sometimes when i pass by, i see him sleeping on the roof. but when i pass by him and he's awake he stops concentrating on whatever he's doing and focuses his attention on me until i'm out of his sight. sometimes he's smiles, sometimes he winks, sometimes he smirks and sometimes he just stares.

even though i grew up with him...i know nothing about him...he scared me.

•••

"hi lila. nice hair" codi smiled sweetly at me after getting her books from her locker.

"thanks" i said but she already left.

she says that every three months when i re-dye my hair...well i guess that's the least she can do after what she done to me.

i'm not gonna get into details right now but lets just say that she made my life a living hell since we can talk and walk up until a year ago. last year one of her "jokes" backfired on her and she started to be nice to me. when we were at summer camp she got a bunch of her girls and they all took turns cutting chunks of my hair off and then they dyed it purple. it backfired because i actually liked the purple so i kept it. it grew back to its original length by the winter time and i just kept dying my hair. eventually it became my signature look and people started knowing me for something else instead of the girl who got raped by codie's older brother...

the bell snapped me out of my thoughts so i hurried off to my first class.

i looked down at my books just for a second to check if i got the right ones. during that second i bumped into something hard and fell backwards right on my ass. "oh sorr-" i looked up and saw that i bumped into grayson dolan. "i'm so sorry. i'm sorry" i apologized over and over again and began picking up mine and his books. he grabbed my arm and pulled me up. "i'm sorry" i said again and shoved his books in his hands and left.

he was speechless.

•••

last period just ended. i rubbed the tiredness out of my eyes and opened my locker to put my books away. i heard a paper fall to the ground so i opened my eyes a saw a drawing of codi right at my feet. i picked it up and examined it more. i paid extra attention to the detail and i noticed how much time and effort that have been put into this. i looked at the bottom corner and noticed a little drawing of a skull and a rose.

"hm"

why was this in my locker?

i thought for a second and finally put two and two together. my locker is a few over from codi's. her boyfriend probably made this for her since he's a tattoo artist and he must've thought my locker was hers.

i folded the drawing in half and slipped it in her locker. i shut mine and walked out of the school building.