Chapter 1:

I'm Luna April Smith and I'm 16 years old. I live in El Dorado country in California. I go to Oak Ridge High School. I'm so depressed and stressed. I'm self-harming. Yeah, cutting. I can't stay strong. The only thing that makes me feel better is drawing. My best friend, Magda, tells me that I'm beautiful and that I should stay strong but I just can't. I always fall into the same mistakes. Of course my parents don't know about it...

It was a normal day, I woke up, grabbed my backpack, got to the car and went to school. My mom took me 'cause I was not feeling very well. I was looking straight out of the window and straight out of my mind. I was watching the boys and girls going together to school. How I watched them laughing together I saw a lonely boy with headphones walking to rhythms. He was all dressed in black. He had black ripped skinny jeans, black shirt with white text "5 SECONDS OF SUMMER" (I never heard about it, the best idea I had that it's a band), black shoes and a black & white bandana on his head. I saw him only for 2 minutes while we were standing on the traffic light but I totally fell in love. My day became better! But then I realized that I'm on my way to school, so I was sad again.

My mom left me in front of the school. I watched her going away. I went inside. Everyone was staring at me, they did not know my name and they did not know nothing about me. My first class was Chemistry. I met Magda.

"Hi, babe, how ya doin'?" she asked.

"Hey, Mag. I'm fine, what about you?"

"I'm great, yesterday we were in the cinema with Matthew (her boyfriend)."

"That's good." I smiled.

"Luna, your smile is kinda weird. Tell me what did you do yesterday. Did you cut again?"

"No."

"You did, I see. DID YOU?!"

"NO!" And I went away. She came after me and said: "You did." I looked to the ground. "Yes, I did." Magda hugged me. "Luna, I told you something."

"Yes, I know, but..."

"Luna, there's no 'but'!"

"Okay, I'll try to don't do it anymore." Then I whispered "It still won't work." I hope she didn't hear me.

"I heard that a new boy is coming to our class." She said.

"Yes? And what is his name?"

"Ashton or what.."

"Oh, Magda, I'm curious!" I started laughing "I'm still single." We laughed. We were together at Chemistry. My second class was History. Magda had Biology.

I went to the class and sat into the last desk alone. The teacher started her stupid things: "Napoleon Bonaparte was born in 1769, blah, blah, blah..." I took out my sketchbook and started to draw the guy I saw in the morning. Someone was opening the door, but I wasn't caring until that someone didn't sit next to me. The boy. The boy I saw in the morning.

"Hi, I'm Ashton. Ashton Fletcher Irwin." He smiled. I put my sketchbook into my bag.

"Um, hello, I'm Luna. Luna April Smith."

"Nice to meet you, Luna April Smith." He took out his exercise book and started to write some verses. I read them.

"When the Sun will fall down

And your heart breaks

I will fall with you

Because I love you, babe."

I said "awww" and he looked at me and smiled. "What? Do you like it?"

"Yes, it's really nice." I smiled too. I felt so safe, like nothing's wrong in my life. I didn't want to cut when was with him, I needed to smile, he's perfect every way. And I knew him only 6 minutes.

At the end of the lesson he asked me: "Will I see you yet?"

"Sure." And I smiled again.