Prologue

• Dedicated to Noelle Nicole Go

(A/N : First romance prose. :D I'm not a cheesy and corny person.hahaha )

Childhood friends are complicated mysteries. We started out as classmates in our 4th  Grade. We grew close because of our fondness to sports and music. He was my male elementary best friend. The things he did for me were the best I’ve ever experienced from a guy… To help me at my most vulnerable hours.. To accompany me to the clinic when I was sick.. To properly apologize and answer like a gentleman.. And his rendering trust towards me.

*Flashback* 

 Clarisse POV

5th Grade

" Clarisse! Watch out!" someone shouted behind me but it was too late. The next thing  was  pure nauseous pain coming from my stomach and me catching my breath as the soccer ball hardly hit my bosom. My classmates immediately crowded over me..

Hell, I was crying, half embarassed at the same time in pain while kneeling on the field. First thing that went to my mind,  "just who the fuck aimed that ball at me..??"

Surprsied to know, it was Eli; my best friend. Ignoring the matter I continued curling my body 'till the pain subsided, but since most of my friends were pro at soccer accidents, they dragged my shoulders up to  prevent my lungs from constriction.

"Risse, you alright!? I am ssssooo sorry! I didn't see you were there and-"

My mind was still hazy and I couldn't totally understand what my friend was saying..But at that moment, he was worried for me to death that I even saw his eyes water while helping me stand.

"Just take me to the Clinic..", I mumbled, catching my breath. Eli did so but insisted that my friends didn't need to come over since he was responsible. Regaining my consciousness, I was surprisingly aware that Eli was so close to me supporting my body. He whispered again near my face, "I'm really sorry" and it somehow gave my body a weird shiver.

As soon as we reached the infirmary I lay down, while he sat beside the bed. I looked at him with half-lidded eyes while he sadly stared blankly at the floor.

"Hey, don't worry I'm feeling better now.." I said jokingly, trying to cheer him up.

"Don't say that, I'm the one who's supposed to make you feel better." he retorted as I winced in pain.

Whom was I kidding, that hit from the soccer ball was bloody hell and to think it came from our best football player at school?

He saw my expression and moved closer to me, supporting my back as I tried to sit up and acidentally held on to his shoulders. I noticed the proximity between us, almost feeling his breath. Since when was it ever ok for us to be this close?

"Relax Clarisse. A stiff body's not good when you're in pain."

I stared at him as he positioned my body flat on the bed with him rubbing the are where I got hit.

Startled with his doing I shrieked. " W-wait!..I mean you don't have to do that" I explained gently.

"Why the heck not?" he snapped, seeming offended by my sudden remark.

"Haya.. It's emarassing.." I mumbled with shades of red as he continued fondling my stomach.

He chuckled. "What's so embarassing with a friend comforting his friend?" he asked.

I turned against him, hiding my vulnerable side. Since when did this guy become so cunning? >.<

The moment began to become awkward with the silence. He broke it saying, "I guess I should be letting you rest now" he said calmly as he stood off the bed.

I instantly looked back, worried I'd be alone in the infirmary since I was much of a scaredy cat. Even if it was a sunny day,  I always had this fear of being alone because of a childhood accident. He laughed as he stood beside the window. The sun rays added to his alien yet beautiful appeal as he cocked his head backwards, cupping his laughter.

I stared at the rare moment of seeing him laugh like that. My heart thumped as he set those brown eyes upon mine. He smiled warmly, " Don't worry. I'll wait 'til you sleep."

"Thanks.." I replied, wrapping myself on those white linen sheets.

He sat beside the bed waiting for me to drift..Unfortunately, minutes have passed and I couldn't  myself to do so. He noticed it, glancing at me as I  uncomfortably shifted my body side to side.

"You're thinking of Nick aren't you? Wishing he was beside you"  he teased.

I jerked from my bed, widening my eyes at him saying "what the heck?".Nick was Eli's best friend. Should I also say, my long time crush. Eli's been trying to help me get near him, though being a heartthrob, I couldn't get a chance out of those girls.

"How dare you say that in this situation!" D:< I shouted, since he knew I couldn't get back at him with a punch. Eli was my punching buddy, even if it wasn't an insult or mock from him, I was fond of punching him; something like my friendly gesture towards him XD

===

*Punch* 

"Quit spacing out Clarisse. It's already time for class!" my highschool friend Ellen shouted, giving me slight jabs at my back.

I shot back to reality as I left reminiscing unwanted memories with my hippocampus. Surprised, I didn't even know what made m remember him.. Does he bother me that much that he left without saying?...But it's already been 3 years..

"Ellen, give me a minute. I'm not done fixing our mess here." I answered.

The noise from  a bunch of boys playing soccer nearby the park caught my attention while wiping off the crumbs on the table. I miss watching him play..

Ellen waved her hand, as she stopped a few meters from me giving me that impatient face.

I gave her a weak smile..remembering the same gesture that Eli gives me when we were kids. Why do I think of him lately..?

 "Wait up!" I yelled, catching up with her while grabbing my backpack.

Nah.. I'll get over this.. I bitterly thought.