The Land Above Our Heads

Note: I listened to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AFwXYToe2I while writing this story (Lofi Beats) 

There is a land that sits right above our heads, silently looking down at us, watching us. This land is mysterious but beautiful. So wide and vast yet so quiet and peaceful. It almost seems that time stops even when time moves forward here, but when I'm looking up at it, admiring its beauty, it almost feels as if time stops here too. So unexplored and undiscovered it makes me want to know more about it.

No one knows if there is even life anywhere on this land, none has been discovered yet. Too many are afraid to venture out to answer these unanswered questions, but many have gone but never came back. Unlike them, I'm not afraid, not afraid that I may never come back, but I'm ok with that. I want to live up in the land above our heads. I am an outcast here, no one respects me and I am alone. But up there, even with all its emptiness, I never feel alone. I get that feeling every time I look into the night sky, the only time you can truly admire its beauty and feel its mysterious power come over you. Thats probably why many never came back, because they didn't want to, they didn't want to come back to this hate filled land called Earth.

The land we live on is loud, driven by power, a place filled with rage and war which surrounds us with negativity. Over the many centuries of the human race living on this planet, many wars have broke out and many leaders of our countries have been driven by power. Its been 150 years since America, China, Russia and Brazil took over smaller countries and became the only 4 countries on the map, 100 years since the countries have isolated them selfs from the others and 50 years since all 4 countries became a dictatorship.

I don't want to live on Earth any more, its destroyed and broken apart and many are fighting with their lives to restore how it used to be. I do still love the planet I was birthed and have tried what a 14 year old girl could do, but every time I end up falling harder and hurting myself then doing good. I have much respect for those fighting but I wish to find a new planet, a peace filled on with love and hope, not destruction and pain. And that land that seems so close but is so far away, can provide that for me. Even if there isn't a planet for someone like me, I'm also ok with that for which finding a new home isn't my first priority, its exploration. Just like mom and dad, I'm one of those kids who wishes to grow up to be like their parents, and I'm desperately striving to do so. I will discover that land called the universe.

It may be difficult though, 20 years ago space travel was forbidden, nobody could leave the atmosphere. America and Britain had a base on the moon but was destroyed when all hell broke lose durning the war of conquerors, many of the satellites orbiting Earth also were destroyed. As a result, space travel was banned, no one could travel or put anything into space. They did not want to risk any ones lives if one of the countries ended up destroying the space craft. During this time mom and dad worked for a company called SRTC, specializing in space crafts and research but was shut down after the ban. Still, they were determined to travel into space, so a few of their old coworkers kept working on 2 projects in a hidden work shop accessed through a cave. 1 of the projects was a space ship the other which was also an space craft but a smaller one, only holding 1 or 2 people.

They were able to finish the larger ship, we were ready to exit the atmosphere even if it meant risking our lives. I even had my bags packed and i was ready to leave with the rest of the group, but I was stopped. My mother pulled me aside and told me I couldn't go on this first mission. Once they make it out of the atmosphere and prove it was successful, they would come right back for me. I cried at first but then I eventually came with the terms, even though I knew I had too, i had no other choice. The left that night, they kissed me good bye and told me the land lord would look after me while they were gone. Then that was it. They left with a party of 4, and safely made it out of the atmosphere with minor detection. They were on the news and many thought they were crazy. still i didn't care what others thought because I knew they would come back... but still, I waited for days, weeks and eventually, years. But now, I'm done waiting, I'm continuing the second project they brought to the work shop. I'm jealous of them because they are spending so much time in the land which lies above our heads.