II│CHARLOTTE

They walked south for around 30 minutes, being careful to keep to the edges of the road and cloaked in the shadows, they needed to avoid drawing the attention of anything unsavory. Admittedly, the heavy downpour hid their progress more than any shadow, tree or bush could, but it was an instinct that had presented itself from living seven years in hiding, and was hard to shake even when unnecessary. The façade of the broken-down Walmart came into view as they turned the corner by the old holiday gas station. The sign now read WAL M R with the r crooked and hanging form just the tip— it could go at any time.

The duo approached the shattered and slightly pried apart and catawampus doors of the store, being careful to avoid the broken glass strewn across the concrete. Although they both had shoes that were somewhat effective in keeping the soles of their feet intact, they had long ago lost the ability to stop a shard of glass with a vendetta. The siblings had to be careful to avoid any silly injuries. Without a steady supply of triple antibiotic ointment or bandages, let alone access to a doctor, even the smallest injury, without proper care, could potentially turn deadly.

As the siblings entered the doors and proceeded toward the abandoned self-checkout area, Charlie turned her head towards Jason.

"Why don't we split up? She asked, "That way we'll be able to cover more ground."

"Okay," Jason replied. "why don't I start over in grocery and you start over in the garden center. We can work our way toward the middle." Charlotte nodded.

"Sounds good. We'll meet back here in two. hours. "Charlie said staring down her little brother with one eyebrow cocked. "That should give us enough time to at least fill our bags."

"Alright, I'll see you in two hours." Jason chuckled

As the two split up and headed toward their respective starting places, Charlie's mind began to wander again. She liked to remember how life had been in the Before, although not even close to perfect it had been a hell of a lot better than it was now. She had been living like any other 16-year-old girl, going to high school, playing afterschool sports, weekly family game nights and dinners, hung out with friends. Although, to be honest, she really hadn't had that many friends. Her family had moved to Willow Creek just a few months before her 15th birthday, and with Charlie being a naturally introverted person, she had struggled to make new friends in the unfamiliar town, preferring the company of a good book, her cat or dog to that of people she barely knew.

She had had the same group of friends since elementary school, and had left them all behind after they had moved. The hospital that her dad had worked at as a pharmacist had decided to "downsize" after new management had taken the reins and he had been in the first round of cutbacks. Apparently, it was ludicrous for a hospital to have three pharmacists on staff. A few weeks after her dad's announcement, her whole family had packed up their entire life and moved cross country to northern California to start anew. At least Jason hadn't had the same struggles fitting in that I had, Charlie mused. It was amazing how easily 10-year-old boys could make friends. But then again, he had always been somewhat of a social butterfly.

As Charlie neared the garden center doors, she snapped herself out of her reverie as she needed to focus on the environment around her. Even in the relative safety of the building, there was still potential for danger around every corner. Entering the garden center, it appeared to be more of a jungle than a store. It never ceased to amaze her how easily nature could take back what humanity had claimed, all within a few years.

Her self-imposed mission for the night was to hopefully find some fresh produce growing in the overgrown garden center. Charlotte was getting excited at just the possibility of having fresh fruits and or vegetables to eat. Something so insignificant to her in the before, was now something that she would give almost anything for. It had been so long since Charlie had eaten produce out of anything but a can, or in dried form that she had basically forgotten what an actual apple tasted like, or how crunchy green beans could be. Looking back, 16-year-old Charlie would have killed to eat what her older version subsisted off daily; Cheez-Its, canned peaches, pie filling, baked beans, and other miscellaneous canned and boxed items. It's funny, she thought to herself, how the food I avoided at all costs as a 16-year-old became somewhat of a delicacy over the last 7 years. Amazing how one's perspective can change so quickly.

A small scuffling coming from over by the side door caught Charlie's attention. Freezing in place, she's careful not to make any noise or bring any unwanted attention to herself. Simultaneously frightened and curious, she proceeds to focus all her senses toward where the noise had come from.

After a couple of moments with no more disturbances, Charlie debated with herself whether to investigate or not. The survivalist inside of her screamed at her to turn tail and run, while another, slightly more logical part of her, implored her to stay put. After all, it could have just been Jason messing with her. It wouldn't be the first time. It was an annoying habit of his that Charlie hadn't been successful of breaking yet. It could also have just been a rat or racoon rummaging around. Picking up a slight whimper Charlie's mind is made up for her. Anything making that noise can't be that dangerous, she reasons, plus it sounded as though it could be in pain. Charlie had always had a bleeding heart. She couldn't even begin to count the number of times she had brought home an injured bird, baby bunny or other small woodland creature that she had either found, or that had been caught by their tomcat. She had always tried her best to nurse it back to health, although admittedly she hadn't had that great of a success rate. Her mother had always assured her that it was the thought that counted and that she did all she could have done.

Charlie began to slowly move towards the whimpering, convinced that she had to at least try to help it. Even if it's too far gone, nothing deserves to die alone. Careful not to make too much noise or startle the potentially injured animal, she made sure to skirt the shattered terracotta pots that litter the floor—probably caused by a mischievous racoon, or startled bird.

She gently parted the over grown grape vines covering the off-kilter doors and held her breath, as if expecting to come face to face with the creature the moment she poked her head out. With the vines parted and Charlie still unable to see anything, she slowly inched her head out of the doorway and strained her ears, trying to pick up even the slightest sound. She caught another small whimper coming from behind the stacks of woodchips bags and decorative rocks to her right. Still staying silent, she moved to the first stack and peeked past it.

Nothing.

She could tell that she was getting closer though, as the whimpering was getting louder. Ever so carefully, she moved until she was up against the stack of lava rocks, hopefully protecting the animal from her view. Slowly she inched her body around the corner and came to an abrupt halt. The breath she had been unconsciously holding since venturing outside, escaped her lungs in one forceful gush.