Prologue

P R O L O G U E

'Love is everywhere; it has no distance. All you have to do is stop the resistance.'

What bullshit, Rebecca thought to herself.

If love was everywhere, then why didn't it find her? How come everybody was loved, but she wasn't? She had let go of the walls she had taken years to build and she had stopped resisting to everything ages ago. If love was supposedly everywhere, then she sure 'loved' everyone.

"No, I hate everyone," she muttered to no one in particular, as her breath became visible in the air.

A sudden rush of air whipped by and the wind roared in her ears, as she hugged her woolen sweater closer to herself. She continued to trudge through the snow effortlessly, despite how snow stuck to the bottom of her ugg boots.

What used to be a flowing river was now glazed over into a thick sheet of ice - or a public makeshift ice-rink. A few meters to Rebecca's right were a few kids ice-skating, screaming in joy. 

Next to them was a family, consisting of a young couple with a toddler, walking along the ice. How cute.

Rebecca kicked a small pebble, letting it skid across the somewhat transparent sheet of ice beside her. Almost stumbling over a rock that jutted out, she whispered, "Twelve steps."

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Six.

Seven.

Eight.

Nine.

Ten.

Eleven.

And twelve.

A lone fountain stood in front of her. It was old and vintage, designed with the most intricate detail she had ever seen on any type of sculpture or fountain. The exquisite patterns that had been etched on had always intrigued her. Once, she had even sat by it, drawing them onto an A4 sketch pad.

The water in the fountain still hadn't been transformed completely into ice yet, but it was evident that a fair amount of snowflakes had fallen in. The water looked crispy - like it was going to crumble under one mere touch of a finger. Water flowed down with each level, creating a comforting splashing sound each time.

Sliding her hand into her pocket, Rebecca brought a gold coin out. She held it out with her fingers on the delicate rim of it and closed her eyes. Letting out a deep breath, she tossed it in the bottom of the fountain.

I want to fall in love.

A/N: Dedicated to sporadikos because frick, that cover is beautiful.