Chapter Two

Chapter Two 

The shrilling sound of my ring tone rung out as I turned over, feeling around for my phone with my eyes still closed. I fumbled around with the objects on my side table and finally found my vibrating cell phone. Without even looking at who the caller was, I clicked 'accept' and brought it up to my ear. 

"What?" Opening my eyes, I went up to shut my curtains in hopes to shun the sunlight out of my room. 

"Good morning!" chirped Adeline's voice. 

I let out a loud groan and checked my bedside alarm clock. "What do you want? It's only ten in the morning."

"No, it's not!" she exclaimed, "It's already ten in the morning." 

 Cue another groan. "Just because you're a morning person doesn't mean I am!" 

I could almost hear her roll her eyes through the phone as she replied, "Anyway, I called you to invite you over to-" 

"Wait, another party?" I interrupted. "Already? It's only the third day of the holidays and it's also freezing outside. Is Nate really doing this?" 

"No! He's not. Calm down, Rebecca," she chastised. "I know Nate's a huge party animal but he's not that crazy... I think. I was calling because we have a new neighbour and he invited me out for lunch. Apparently, he's going to bring someone else and it would probably be awkward if I went alone... Will you come?" 

"What time is it at?"

"In... Half an hour."

"No," I immediately declined. 

"Why not?" she whined, dragging the word 'not' out for a few seconds. 

"Um... Too lazy?" 

Adeline let out an overdramatic sigh. "Please? For me? He's cute, I swear. If you don't come, I'll tell them all those embarrassing childhood stories you have." 

Cue the threats that my oh-so-lovely best friend was known for. When I had first met her, I was utterly terrified of her, but over the past few years, I had gotten used to her... violent and temperamental attitude towards things. She had grown to be the slightest bit nicer ever since I had met her, yet was still the sassiest person I had ever known in my life. 

"Okay, I'll go," I gave in, "But you owe me." 

"Of course, of course. Twenty five minutes, cya." 

She hung up the moment before I could even begin to take in the last sentence she had said. I laid in bed for another few minutes, hoping I could just fall asleep and not go. 

My ringtone rang out again and I clicked reply, only to have Adeline scream, "Wake up!" and hang up after two seconds. She knew me way too well for my own good.

I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth, hastily, seeing as it would take a good ten minutes to walk to her house. Considering the fact that I would probably be eating lunch in only an hour, I decided to skip my usual breakfast - scrambled eggs and toast, with orange juice - and stayed for the rest of the time in my house, deciding on what to where. 

I filed through my closet knowing that I barely had any time to pick out an outfit. A dress would be a bit too... formal or dressy, and a plain shirt with jeans would be much too plain. I didn't even know if we were going to a restaurant and eating at their house.

I ended up choose a white cashmere sweater with a pair of black skinny jeans and Converse shoes. Cute guy or not, I was not going to dress up for him whether Adeline liked it or not.