Chapter 16

AN: This chapter is short, sorry and it doesn't address the cliff hanger from last chapter (super sorry.) But I figured that I would post it until I'm finally finished with the important chapters! Sorry for the wait and thanks to anyone who is still reading and supporting me, it means a lot :)

“Sweetie, I need to know if the dress fits you by tomorrow. The pageant is this Friday and if Ronaldo needs to adjust it then we have to get it done soon.” Claudia lectured as she sipped on one of her lattes. “I don’t know why you’re procrastinating with this. If it’s a few pounds you need to lose you can visit my trainer Jake, he’ll-”

“Mom.” Rachelle snapped, shoving her untouched bowl of cereal away and giving Claudia a harsh stare. “I think it’s too early to be discussing this right now, don’t you?”

“I know it is for me.” Her father Boris mumbled as he walked into the kitchen with his tie askew and his hair messy from a troubled nights sleep. He smiled at Rachelle warmly. “You don’t need a trainer, Rachelle. You’re perfect.”

She looked away in shame. Her father had always been the one to support her, no matter what. If the man could give her the world she knew that he very much would. But there was always one thing standing in the way of that. Claudia. She refused to allow Boris to have any influence on their daughter. 

Rachelle loved her dad dearly but it had always been obvious to her that the man was nothing more than a pushover and someone that Claudia had clearly walked all over since the day the two of them met. And it was very obvious that he had only been enchanted with Claudia for her beauty and she enchanted by him for the nice paychecks he received. 

“Boris,” She hissed in annoyance. “Please, I’m trying to have a serious talk with our daughter here. There’s no room for your useless two sense.” Rolling her eyes she looked back at Rachelle once more. “Ignore him, sweetie. So what do you say? Would you like to meet Jake?”

“Sure.” She muttered for the sake of having Claudia shut up. Standing from her chair, she grabbed her purse and threw it over her shoulder. “I’m going to get to school early today, no time to eat right now.”

Claudia frowned. “You still have over an hour before your first class starts.”

“I know.” She sighed. “But I have to meet up with a friend for a project we’re doing. It’s due this week so I really need to finish it.”

“Alright.” Claudia sighed. “But don’t forget we have an appointment with the dance instructor today at four!” She called to Rachelle as she began grabbing her coat and making her way towards the front door. “Don’t be late, sweetie!”

“Give the girl a break.” Boris muttered as he began eating Rachelle’s untouched breakfast.

“You stay out of it!” 

Rachelle sensed an argument about to ensue and quickly took the opportunity to rush out of the front door. She immediately began shivering when she hadn’t even had the opportunity to put her jacket on before stepping outside. That’s how eager she’d been to escape her two parents before they began bickering. It was never an enjoyable experience and she wondered when the two were going to grow some balls and finally divorce. If Rachelle knew her dad as well as she thought she did then she knew that the man would never have the guts to do that. 

He was too frightened of Claudia, as many people were. She was a fierce, intimidating woman who pushed her beliefs on anyone that came in contact with her. According to Boris, she’d been that way since she was young. It was strange how opposite Rachelle was from her mother. She could never see herself being bossy and overbearing towards others, it just wasn’t in her nature.