1

Sakura

I've always dreamt of the day Uchiha Sasuke returned to Konoha.

With his return he would have brought so much happiness and relief. Not just for Naruto, Kakashi-sensei and the others. For me.

It's because he refused to listen to me that night. That one night of hell that extended into years of misery. Neglected, hated, unwanted. He wanted revenge, not hope, not love. Just vengeance. Uchiha Sasuke's heart was stone cold. Who was I to have any chance of changing who he wanted to be?

A traitor, that's what he chose to be.

"Sakura-sama," a soft voice definitely belonging to an ANBU called. "Hokage-sama wished to see you in her office," I nodded gratefully. "Thank you."

I walked to the Hokage's office, a place I considered as a sanctuary. Lady Tsunade was fair, loving and kind. Her harshness was only ever in love. Only to my benefit and growth.

Just as I approached her office door, I heard Lady Tsunade conversing with Shizune. I wasn't one to be nosy and eavesdrop, but after all these years, hearing my name in a conversation would always catch my attention. Was it something positive? Or was Lady Tsunade finally intoxicated by the badmouthing of my comrades?

"–useless! I don't know if she's gotten weak o-or—," Lady Tsunade paused. "Maybe...Maybe Ino was right,"

I sighed internally. 'Isn't that nice to hear,' I thought to myself sarcastically.

I knock on the door before waiting for Lady Tsunade's signal, permitting me to enter. I willed myself to put on a fake smile and greet her formally.

"Sakura," she began, her tone low and almost disappointed. "What's the meaning of this?" She pushed a scroll forward for me to read.

"Patient died due to severe blood loss. Treated by Haruno Sakura," Tsunade reads. "A life, gone, Sakura. Do you know how serious your mistake is?"

"Lady Tsunade, his arteries were—" I attempted to defend myself.

"No, Sakura. I examined the corpse personally. He could have been saved. Thanks to your medical negligence, the Daimyou's son is now dead and he'll probably want to punish you for this," She pinched her nose-bridge. "There goes the political peace for the next few years," Tsunade says under her breath.

I kept my gaze locked on the ground, not daring to look at my teacher or even Shizune. Lady Tsunade sighs. "Here's the scroll for your next mission. It's an assassination. Just..." Tsunade grimaced, staring at me, her once star pupil.

"Don't mess this one up, alright? I'll try to get the Daimyou off your back."

"Thank you, my Lady," I say before gently receiving the scroll between my palms. I hastily leave the Hokage building. I wanted to get away from everything here. It hurt, it hurt too much.

There was clear evidence of my failure. Reasons why it was justified to say, "Haruno Sakura is deadweight to the team." Which is probably why I rarely get send on team missions anymore. And the one time I do, a life is lost, all because of my slip up.

:::

Sauntering into the village gates, I heaved out a long breath. I hadn't realised how stiff I had been on the journey back.