Chapter 7: Unexpected

***

"What?!" I asked Sean. "Tell me you're not asking for anyone's help!"

"Then I guess I won't be telling you." he stood up. "I seriously got to go."

"You can't just go!" I followed him. "Not without me."

"Why?" he smiled cockily. "Being this supportive sister, eh?"

"Actually, no." I said in as-a-matter-of-factly tone. "I just wouldn't let you do stupid thing, you know?" I grabbed his arm and dragged him outside. "Let's go!"

What happened to me? The past minute I was so against my brother, but look at me now dragging him into the picture. Gee. What an irony. Well whatever.

He texted Anne, asking where are they. And of course she honestly replied that they're on some kind of park or something. I really don't know, and I don't care. After half an hour, Sean stopped his car. And I was right, we're at some park now. The place was beautiful. Okay, so Max must really be serious about Anne. I just felt sorry for him for her girlfriend's cheating.

"I think we should go now." I said, calm.

"What?!" Sean's forehead creased.

"Just look at all the effort Max had done. Look!"

"Whatever."

"Hey bro!" I tapped his back very hard, pretending it was just a friendly pat. "You don't just whatever an effort like this! Come on!"

"No!" he said straight. He's very serious now. "I won't, okay?!"

"Fine. I forfeit. Just don't screw things heavily. You're on your own." and then I walked out.

I slammed very hard the door of his car. Very stubborn brother he is! What is he thinking?! Tch.

I'm bored. Anxious at the same time. Is everything going well? Or did Max killed my brother already? Hope so.

I'm kidding. Psh. I stepped out his car and made my way to ... Wait! Where are they? No one seems to be around. Yes, the place is awesome but no one's here to enjoy the perfect scenario. Or maybe there is. I caught sight of them three at the back of a huge tree, laughing.

Oh-kay? What's with them? Shouldn't they be fighting or doing some kind of man-to-man stuff?

I ran towards them.

"Sean!" I yelled. They got startled. "Let's go home! Now!"

"A-ahh. Fine." he took a stand. But before he fully walked out, he kissed Anne on her lips-in front of Max. To my surprise, he's expressionless and doesn't care at all.

"What?!" I murmured to myself, followed by my eyes rolling. It's great enough that they didn't fight or something. So it wouldn't be that of a trouble, right?

I sat quiet on Sean's car, with my arms crossed. I'm also curious about what happened, but I can't speak a word to even ask about it. Maybe I am just waiting for the answer to come to me.

The next days went fine. It just got worst at Art Class when I spilled my paints in my pants. Exactly why? Because Max came barging into the room saying he's in this period, too.

"Since when did you try painting?" I asked. He sat in front of the easel beside mine.

"Yesterday?"

"Alright, whatever you say." then I continued with my work.

I noticed something different about him now. He's like... Not him. I know, who am I to say that he's different when I actually don't know him too well in the first place.

The alarm bell snapped me out. It's time to go.

"And by the way Denisse." he called out. "You're still fat."

"Shut up!"

Doesn't he know how much it hurts hearing those things? I'm kidding. I don't care actually. You know, when you get immune to those stuffs it'll be all like nothing. I'm used to eating at the cafeteria alone, going home alone if I'm not with Sean, walking alone, eating at prom alone even though I'm with bunch of nerds, and I'm alone all throughout my life.

Not when I was with Sam. I miss him. But everything's different now. I mean, maybe he's already with his girl now. I wouldn't know. And I won't even bother knowing.

I got home with bad vibes. Sean must have noticed it so he asked me what's the bother, or who the problem is.

"It's who."

"So, spill it then."

"Okay," I sighed. "Max."

"It's him again?!"

"Yeah. He called me fat in art class today."

"Don't worry, you're not."

"I'm not?" I asked, a little hopeful.

"Well, a little bit. But you're fine."

I poured. "This is what I get from not going to the gym. Thanks to you, brother!" I said sarcastically.

"But you're still cute. If you need anything, I'll be in my room." and so he left.

He's a supportive brother actually. But what I've seen was intense that I looked differently to him. Well whatever, I don't care anymore.

I called Max a fag the next day, hoping he would be hurt just like what I felt. But no, he just stared at me and laughed afterwards.

"What is wrong with you?!" I nearly punched him in the face, but since he's very tall it landed on his abs--WAIT! No. He doesn't have any.

"Nothing. Y'know I like you."

"You're insane! You were like proposing the other day to..." I stopped, finding the right words until I caught them. "The love of your life. And, and! Now here you are saying that you like me?! Jerk!"

"Hey. I said like. And there's a very wide distance between like and the other four-letter word."

"I... I..." don't know what to say so I stomped on his feet really hard and walked out.

He caught up. "What's with you? I'm just saying."

"Yeah? Don't speak a word. Ever!"

"Let's go on a date, shall we?"

"What?! No." I glared at him. "You think I'd fall for that! Certainly not!"

"Come on. Please?"

"Oh shut up. A jock like you?" I literally pointed at him. "Going on a date with me? Like seriously?!" I walked away fast. It's a good thing he didn't follow.

"I'm not even a jock, nor jerk." he shouted. "So I'll pick you up tomorrow after school!"

I looked back, and he's gone.

I absolutely won't fall for it!