The Boy

No boy was more badly behaved than he. The townsfolk turned up their noses to look at the wretch of the poor family down the lane. No longer accepted in school he spent his time alone, building traps for small animals to pull their wings off, sneaking off to markets to steal, harassing the town geese, and hurtling stones at the people he despised. A disgrace was he, no one to answer to but his bull-headed mother and weak-willed father. For too long had they had to put up with his corrupt behaviour and time and time again they exclaimed:

"You are a demonic child! God knows why I have been cursed to beget one such as you!"

"You must listen to your mother."

"You are shameful, an abomination!"

"You should be respectful."

"You are a poison – a monster!"

"Do as you are told."

"You deserve nothing but the worst of life – nothing but hell!"

And off he goes – off away from his critics, to wander and torment.

Not long had he been walking did he see a strange man. He was crouched on top an upturned wheelbarrow, knees touching his chin. As the boy drew nearer he saw as plain as day the man's skin was purple. What was this creature? The stranger with yellow eyes looked at the boy before parting his lips to expose blood-red teeth.

"Are you enjoying your walk young man?" the voice sounded like an echo.

"What do you care where I walk?" replied the boy.

"I don't much care. Only because I know where you're going."

"Oh," came the boy being sceptical of the claim. "And where does a little freak like you know where I'm going?"

The purple-skinned man looked up to the sky and said:

"You're going back where you came from, only this time by your self."

"By myself, hahaha!" the boy laughed to hear the response. "You're a stupid one aren't you?" But the stranger did not laugh.

"I am right when I say by your self."

"I should grab a rock and knock you off that wheelbarrow. You're nothing but an old circus freak. A rotten, stinking tramp!"

The stranger placed his arm across his face before pleading with the boy.

"Please don't, I'll give you a wish if you promise not to hurt me."

The boy eyed the cowering creature and considered what had been said. Could a wish be granted by that thing? The boy ruminated a while before, arms crossed and smiling, he turned to the purple man.

"You said that I'd return where I came from alone. Well in that case I will have my wish and I'll prove you wrong!"

The yellow-eyed man lowered his arm.

"I wish I could have a double of me. He'll be my whipping boy so all the beatings will go to him."

"It is done." The purple man pointed beyond where the boy stood and as quick as he turned around he saw his reflection. To the height, colour of hair, shape of mouth, eyes and teeth, it was his exact double.

The boy turned to see the strange creature but he was gone, only the upturned wheelbarrow remained. He looked back at the apparition, which remained standing in the same spot. Nose to nose he stood in front of his doppelganger before asking: