New friends

I lifted my body from the couch while yawning and stretching my arms. I had been too tired last night to pull it out into a bed so I just slept on it as it was. Looking around the living room I noticed the homely appearance it had. Even though this place was filled with teenagers it was very clean. The smooth hardwood floor shined perfectly underneath the white sofa and entertainment center. The kitchen was attached by a breakfast nook. Several white pendent lights hung from the ceiling of the kitchen, lighting up the brown and black appliances.

Last night after we came back from the woods I met the residents of the house. Other than Ian there was one other guy, Dan, and two girls, Alex and Sammi. They were really nice and treated me like I had already been one of their friends for a long time.

My head turned when I heard a door creak. Ian walked out of his room and a smile appeared on his face when he saw me. “Have a good sleep?” He asked as he went into the kitchen.

“Yeah I did, thank you.” I smiled.

“Awesome, wanna wake n’ bake?” He asked.

“Huh?”

He chuckled. “I forgot, you’re new at this. Come over here.” He said and motioned me over with his hand.

I stood up and walked into the kitchen, taking a seat at one of the wooden chairs at the table. There was a baggy of weed on the table and a bowl. He packed it and then took a hit, then handed the bowl to me. I shrugged and also took a hit. “Wake n’ bake means waking up and getting high right away.” He explained to me.

“Oh, alright.” I responded and took another hit.

By the time the bowl was finished I was already feeling a little high. He put the weed and bowl back into his pocket and stood up. “I’m making breakfast sandwiches, want one?” He asked as he pulled out a skillet.

“Sure, thank you.” I replied and watched him.

Right as he was preparing some eggs Sammi and Alex walked into the kitchen. “Hey guys.” They both said in unison.

I nodded in their direction and they sat down at the table. Alex pulled out a bag of cocaine and laid it on the table, then pulled out a razor and cut herself a line. I couldn’t help but think of Kevin as she did so. My heart sank when my thoughts wandered over to Rosewood. Everyone there was probably worrying about me. Or maybe they weren’t? Maybe they were glad I was gone. I had intruded on them after all.

I shook my head of the thoughts and smiled up at Ian when he placed a plate in front of me with a breakfast sandwich filled with cheese, sausage, and egg. I took a bite and looked over to him. “This is great, thank you.”

“No problem.” He said and nodded.

There was some small talk that took place during the breakfast and after that Sammi and Alex left. They said they had somewhere to go, and right as they left Dan walked in. “Sup.” He said and nodded in our direction.

He walked over to the fridge and opened it. Grabbing the milk he poured himself a glass, then shut the fridge. “So, Lylah. Why are you here?” He asked and sat down at the table.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Couldn’t stay at… home I guess.” I said, hoping he didn’t notice my hesitation.

He nodded and took a sip of his milk. Conversation completed.

I heard my ring tone go off in the other room and got up to grab my phone. When I picked it up the name on the front of the screen tore me up. Kevin. I was torn up because one, I loved Kevin. He was a great friend. And two, it wasn’t Johnny. I ignored the call and turned my phone on vibrate, then slipped it in my pocket.