Oh S**t

"Today's the day! Kendal did you hear me, I said TODAY IS THE DAY!!!". Kendal, focused on her phone, looked up. Raneem was talking to Kendal like a kindergartner because she knew that's what annoyed Kendal the most.

"I just got my phone back, I'm gonna spend every minute on it until I get it taken away cause we all know it's going to happen". Kendal always thought her mom was overprotected. She got in trouble every other week. This morning her mom almost made her stay home from school, Kendal assumed it was because the 8th grade was scheduled to have a party today.

"What day is it anyways? Everyone was talking about it like we're all going to die", Kendal asked sarcastically.  Right at this moment, Kendal fell to the ground. "Watch it", she yelled. She regretted it instantly. Standing over her was her friend, Zach with flowers in his hands. Zach was a different kind of boy, he was sweet but smoking hot at the same time. He was the only cute black boy in the grade. Kendal has had feelings for him since the first time she saw him. 

"Sorry! I need to get a seat in the back of Harris or else I have to sit with the white kids who everyone assumes is going to shoot up the school". He ran off before Kendal could ask the million questions running through her head. Kendal stopped herself instantly. "God I sound so needy. Fuck!" She thought she said to herself. Unfortunately, the last part wasn't in her head.

"Kendal, omg! Mr. Storey was right there when you said that. Doesn't he hate you? I mean, I wouldn't know, I'm his favorite!" 

"Raneem it's a teacher that in 10 years will die alone with a million cats. I don't care what he thinks. I have a week left of this god forsaken school until I can move in with my dad. What is this day about, we were interrupted by someone before you told me". 

"Kendal you are kidding me. This is the most important day of 8th grade. There's a reason you can't skip today and it's not because of a $200 lame-ass party we're going to have." 

 "Raneem, just tell me. It's not like its the end of the world." 

"Actually Kendal, it is for one person in our grade. Today is May 23rd. Also known as the day that at least one 8th grader is guaranteed to die. So yah Kendal, it's the end of the world for someone!"