Chapter Three: Revenger

“Why can’t they stay? They’re not a bad group of people” Alice argues, her fists clenched in front of her father. “Johnny says that he’ll help around the farm. Mason and Noah are both hard workers. Addison and Camille can cook. Noah used to be a doctor. They could help us!”

“”But what if they kill us?” Phil yells back, raising his hand to hit Alice.

“Do it,” Alice hisses, looking away from her father. “Hit me!” she yells, looking back at her father, her eyes angry. 

“That’s enough,” Johnny says, jumping between the two. “You hit her, and I’ll hit you right back, old man,” Johnny hisses, his stare at Phil hard, cold.  

“Move,” Alice hisses at Johnny, putting her hand on his shoulder. Johnny turns and looks at Alice. “Jonathan, move.” 

 “I’m sorry, Alice, but no,” Johnny says, grabbing her hand. “Come with me,” he sighs, pulling Alice away form her father.

 The two walk quickly towards Johnny’s truck, getting weird looks from the others as they pass. “What is with you?” Alice asks as Johnny opens the tail gate and hops up, sitting on the tailgate and dangling his legs off the edge. He pats his hand beside him, indicating for Alice to sit beside him.

 “We should talk,” Johnny says with a smile, “Sit with me?” he asks.

 Alice sighs and looks up at the teenage boy sitting on the tail gate. She climbs up and sits cross legged beside Johnny. “What about?” she asks, looking at him.

 Johnny smiles, turning to face her, Alice too turns to face Johnny. Johnny holds out his hand and smiles, “My name is Jonathan Williams, call me Johnny,” he says with a smile,  his hand still in front of her.

 Alice scoffs and looks at him strangely, shaking his hand. “My name,” she starts, looking at Johnny like he was crazy, “Is Alice Johnson, nice to meet you Johnny,” she says with a fake smile.

 “How are you?” he asks. Alice laughs at his question.

 “How are you?” she mocks, a smile on her face. “Well, the dead are rising up and wandering around to kill everyone. I guess I’m alright,” she says, giving Johnny a strange look, “What about you?”

 “I’m pretty good actually,” he smiles, “I have my truck, a group of people I trust, and now a new friend,” he says, smiling at Alice.

 “You’re getting nothing from me,” Alice snaps, her smile forming into a scowl. “We aren’t friends,” she hisses, about to jump down from the tail gate.

 “Alice, wait,” Johnny says, grabbing her arm gently. His rough hands felt warm against her bare forearm. “I don’t want a relationship like you’re thinking, I just want to be friends. From what I’ve seen, you need it. You seem like you’ve been stuck here with your dad and your brother, no people from the outside world.”

 “The most socializing I get is with dead beats,” she grumbles, no longer wanting to jump off the tail gate. “Those rotting, no mind zombies kill everyone with no mercy -” she says, stopping herself. She looks up at Johnny, his eyes looked concerned.

 “Is something bothering you?” he asks, taking her smaller hands in his. “Alice?” 

 Alice looks away, also pulling her hands away from him. “Nothing that I want to talk about,” she sighs, suddenly getting a tight hug from the boy in front of her.

 “It’s alright, Alice,” Johnny says calmly, holding her tightly. 

“Please let me go,” she says after a minute of hugging him. “Please..” she sighs, altough she herself not wanting to let go. Johnny seemed to be able to tell that Alice didn’t want to let go, for he held her tighter.