Chapter two

The students in the hall were too preoccupied catching up with friends, exchanging stories about their summer, laughing, giggling and gossiping about the girl who tried to drown herself in a lake, to even notice my entrance. Okay, I made the last one up. I’m not entirely sure if they are talking about me, or if they even have the slightest clue who the girl was.

I prayed a silent prayer to God wishing that they had no idea it was me. Unfortunately, God never did answer my prayers. Soon, the loud chatter ceased, replaced by silence.

Silence, I discover, is something you can actually hear.

I kept my head down, focusing my attention to the shiny linoleum floor as if it’s the most fascinating thing I have ever seen. I ignore the eyes watching me. Judging. I bet they look like they’re contemplating whether or not I’ll start slicing my wrist like sushi.

I’m suicidal not emo.

As I pass by, I can hear bits and pieces of their conversation.

 “That’s her”

“I can’t believe she still has the guts to show up here.”

“She’s a senior? I never saw her here before.”

“I don’t recognize her face.”

“What’s here name? Kayla?”

I was always in my own little bubble of isolation whenever I’m in school, so it doesn’t surprise me that they have never notice me or remember . Hell! Even my teachers forget my name.

It  was fine at first, but one can only be so lonely for a short period of time before he/she starts contemplating on ending his/her life.

Finding my locker was easy enough, I’ve been in this hellhole for more than three years already which means I’ve got the placements figured out. Mine is number 144. I reached for the lock and entered my combination. I took out some notebooks, pens and books out of my leather backpack then inserted them inside. When that was done, I pulled a black pony tail out of my jean’s pocket and proceeded on tying my long blonde hair in a messy bun.

The students were still whispering but at least they’re not looking at me anymore.

I check my schedule for the day. I got homeroom with a Mr. Ellis.

Huh. Must be a new teacher. As I close the door to my locker, someone bumped into my shoulder.

“Sorry!” a familiar husky voice said. I look up to see a boy, same age as me, with thick brown hair and a set of piercing blue eyes.

The boy looked surprised.

“You.” He said. Staring at my face as if he can’t believe I’m in front of him.

“Me?” I was confused. Did he know me?

“The lake” was all he said.

Oh.

 Of course, he knew me! I’m the suicidal girl. Everyone knows who I am.

I frown at him and said “Yes. I’m the girl who attempted suicide in the lake. It’s nice to meet you.” And stormed off towards homeroom.

I really am Ms. popular now.

Nearing the door of the classroom, I asked myself why I thought his voice sounded familiar.