My One And Only

Before the car accident, I never believed in bad luck but now, I just want- just shut up Dolores! I sat on my creaky, rocking chair. My feeble fingers gripped a pair of needles, producing a clicky-click sound while I was knitting a new jumper for my daughter. I hope she likes it.

In a blur, a vision of blue and pink came rushing towards me with grins plastered onto their faces. “Granny, Granny! We broke a mirror by accident,” lisped the twins. I don’t know why they are so happy but smashing a mirror will sentence you with bad luck for seven years.

“Taylor and Tyler, you know that this gives you bad luck for a very long time.” My lips wobbled fearfully with a flashback creeping back on my mind.

“But mummy said stuff like this is complete rubbish.”

“Well, when I was quite small, I never used to believe in luck as well but something…happened.”

“Oh do tell us a story pwease,” they pleaded.

“Alright! Shush! Just don’t interrupt me or ask any questions OR make any kind of side comments.” They nodded mutely and took off to the kitchen. They returned with crisps, juice and popcorn. What am I, a cinema? They settled down on the carpet with widened eyes.  “ Okay, it was 1975, I was about 17 years old when mum was born-“

“Wow, you were young!”

“ I said no comments!”

“You didn’t mention about saying facts.”

“ Fine! No sound, only silence is required.

“ I felt the happiness spread through my body when my daughter, Lucy was born.  My husband, Tristan, was over the moon when he heard about it. Tristan is not really around at home because he is usually at University, which is on the other side of the country, doing his Ph.D. I sometimes felt ashamed that I was married to someone with an age gap of eleven years. Crazy isn’t it?  Now I didn’t feel bad anymore.

My telephone blared my favourite song ‘Little Darling’. I answered the telephone, concealing my fit of giggles. ‘Hey Hun!’

‘Hey to you, Doll. Guess what!’

‘What?’

‘I’m coming home in an hour! And there’s more! A surprise is coming along the way!’

‘That’s marvellous.’ I did a little dance, making sure no one was watching, otherwise it would’ve been really embarrassing.

‘I have to hang up now. Bye!’

‘Bye sweetie!’  I hung up when I heard Lucy crying. I hurried to her and took a whiff of her nappy. Ew. Time to change her nappy.  I gave her a soothing bath and tucked her in her little cot. I found myself cooing at the sight of her. My eye was caught on the clock. Oh no! Only forty-five minutes left! I paced around the room thinking what to do.  Oh dear conscious…give me an idea.

I think I know what you can do.

What?

Scream around the room like a maniac.

Not helping.

Wasn’t planning on it.

Gosh, you’re no help!

Thanks for the compliment.

Your welcome…Not!

I left my simply annoying mind and impulsively took off to clean the house. Well, it’s better than nothing. After forty-five excruciating minutes, I heard a soft chime near the front door. HE IS HERE. The tips of my lips turned up. I opened the door, automatically bursting into a hug.