Chapter Eleven: Final Battle

“So how are we gonna do this?” Allen asked.

Everyone was gathered in the room we had settled in that was across from the teacher's lounge. They were discussing strategy and things like that.

“I say we just rush them,” Matt had his arms crossed over his chest. “Don't give them any time to think.”

“It's as good of a plan as we are going to get,” Luciano got up from his seat. “Let's just hurry and do this. I am not giving them time to get away again, we've waited too long for this.”

Everyone began moving towards the doorway. Viktor stayed beside me.

“Take this,” he pulled out a gun from his coat, placing it in my hands.

“Wait, why?” I stared up at him in both shock and a bit of fear.

“Stay here and watch the door,” he explained. “If anyone tries to escape, fire it.”

“I...I don't know if I'd be able to shoot someone…” I admitted.

“You don't have to shoot them necessarily,” he pat my head. “Just fire it as a warning shot so we know someone is escaping.”

“Okay,” I nodded despite his hand still on my head. “I can do that.”

He then went to join the others.

I watched as they all surrounded the door to the teacher's lounge, Lutz kicking it down with what seemed to be little effort.

“I want you to stay back behind me,” I motioned Haydn up to where I had positioned myself by the door so that I could watch everything.

The door was left open. I didn't really think to shut or lock it either. I didn't think any of their enemies would be stupid enough to run from one enclosed room to another.

Haydn ended up beside me so she could watch what was going on as well. The two of us would occasionally comment on something we saw, but for the most part we were silent.

I didn't think I would actually have to use the gun resting on my lap, but I was wrong.

Brian was the first to run out of the room. He must have waited for a time when everyone was occupied with whoever they were fighting, so no one really noticed.

When he saw me, he hesitated, and so did I. My hand was still resting on the gun, but I didn't pick it up.

Brian glanced from the fight, back to me and Haydn before motioning towards the hall that led to the stairs and waving for us to come on.

It was tempting. But even in the confusion of the fight, I had my doubts that no one would notice if we just left. I was pretty sure one of them would notice immediately.

I shook my head before whispering a single word. “Hurry.”

My finger found it's way to the trigger as I lifted the gun to point to the wall across from me. He was running like a bat out of hell before I even pulled it.

Matt was the closest to the door, so he called out. “Who was it?”

“M-My friend…” I was still hesitant.

He looked a bit surprised, as if he hadn't expected me to sell my friends out. He didn't know I had purposefully let him go before doing so.

“Let him go,” Luciano had overheard. “He isn't important anymore.”

And so, I was back to watching them fight, grateful he had finally decided my friends weren't worth his time.

Maybe that would mean he would decide that Haydn and I weren't a threat to them either and just let us leave after this. I still had my doubts…