The Castle

I wondered around the castle at midnight. The moon was my only light, but I did not need anything else. The castle was my home, and I knew all of its dark corners like the palm of my hand.

Whenever I encountered someone, they always ran away from me, screaming they had seen a ghost. I could not do anything about it. I was condemned to haunt the place.

People progressively left the castle, and it eventually became completely abandoned. The walls where I had lived my entire life were now starting to fall down. I was completely alone.

I was not allowed to leave. I watched the forest from the windows, wanting to go there and listen to the birds. I missed the smell of leaves and the cold taste of the water from the stream.

One particular night, I climbed to the highest tower of the castle. Flashes of my previous life passed in front of my eyes. When I reached the top, I remembered the fall, and the ground hitting me. "Someone had thrown me", I thought.

It did not matter anymore. I only wanted to reach the light of the moon. I wanted to rest in peace.

A mad impulse made me jump from the tower. It was the only thing I had left to try. As I fell, the moon seemed to grow, and I realised that I was flying towards the sky. When I reached the moon, everything faded into white.