2

Cold water clung to my shaking skin. Teeth chattering, body trembling, yet I stayed with my feet planted on the plastic surface of the shower's floor. There were stains on the wall, slightly yellowing of age. Nibbling on my tongue, I wrung my fingers through my hair to wash out the excess soap.

Finally, I could turn the nozzle off. Most of the good resources, including heated water, went to the main building where Lance lived. Unfortunately for me, that meant icy cold showers every single day. Then again, water is water.

There were some who didn't even get that privilege.

A pair of cleanly washed cotton material hung out on the hanger. Out of the shower, I pressed my fingers against the softness of the dark blue shirt and black pants. The travel would be cold, considering I would be going high up the mountains.

I'd always wondered why my granny lived so high up in the mountains. Whenever she visited, I never got the chance to ask her, since she was far too busy conversing with everyone else in the town. For someone so social, it was odd for her to be kept away in the mountains instead of with everyone else.

In other words, she was a fleeting mystery to me. And I was expected to venture off to her secret home. One that only Cassie held the privilege of going to. That was another question of mine; why Cassie? Why not my father or me, or even Essie? Why endanger the frail, timid Cassie?

Shaking my head, I pulled on the clothing that snuggled against me in comfort. Black combat boots slid onto my feet, for protection. My wet hair hung from my shoulders.

Outside of the bathroom, I saw my family sitting around, all with lost looks on their faces except for Essie. She had a grin on her lips by the sights of me.

"Sophia!" She sprung up from her seat, stretching her arms in the process. "Ready?"

"As I'll ever be," I feigned nonchalance. Deep inside of me, there was a brewing storm that dared to tip over and spill just how terrified I was of that forest. The very forest I dreamed of going into every night.

My father was the next to stand. Cassie, on the other hand, had a far away look in her eyes. That day would either end up being the best day of her life or the worst. Lance Clayton would decide her husband and, from there, her life would be chosen for her. Just like it had for everyone else in the town.

She didn't glance in my direction.

"Remember to stay on the trail," my father ordered with a tightness to his jaw. "Never stray from it, Sophia. Promise me."

The seriousness to his voice didn't settle my nerves in the slightest. Despite myself, I managed a curt nod for my father. "I promise."

"There is enough food to last you the day. Granny has the equipment necessary to bring back the crops. Everything you need is in here." Dangling from his fingertips was a basket, one that Cassie had made for her own ventures.

Intricately woven, it was made of thousands of wood splinters. I vaguely remembered her making it; how each prick of her finger drew the faintest dot of blood. I fixated my attention on the full basket, with contents hidden by a red blanket. Numbly, I took it from him and held it firmly in my hands.

"Are you ready?" He was scared for me. There was no way he could hide the burning fear that shone brightly in his bright blue eyes. Scorching of anxiety, he was worried about my wellbeing.

Would I be mauled just like Janet and the rest of them? "I am."

He nodded once, setting his large hands on my shoulders. "Be safe, Sophia. You should be home in time for Cassie's ceremony."