The Third Letter

Dear Paolo,

I just got home and I thought a lot of things while I was on my way. I thought about what to do once I get to the airport with no you to pick me up or no you to check if I got home fine. I hardly could find the tricycle terminal. When I was on the plane, I wondered and imagined if I’ll see messages from you once I turn the phone on like how it used to be.

YOU JUST PROBABLY GOT OFF THE PLANE IF YOU’RE READING THIS MESSAGE. I KNOW IT HAS JUST BEEN FEW HOURS BUT I MISS YOU NOW. COCO HAS BEEN BARKING A LOT, HE MISSES YOU TOO. CALL ME ONCE YOU GET THIS. I WUB YOU.

You were the sweetest. Had I known those moments wouldn’t end in forever, I would have… I would have… I honestly don’t know Pao. I did everything that I could.

On my way to the bus terminal, I remembered those lazy days in the front seat of your car. You would play some music and we’ll sing together while we roam around the city and end up in the beach in Panglao watching the sunset.

This hometown where our love started has changed a lot and so did your love. There were a lot of buildings now and new restaurants I wish we could dine together. The route was also changed because of the road construction. And remember the barbecue stalls in the plaza? It’s gone because the plaza is being renovated. It seems that this place is trying it’s best to help me move on.

When I got home, around 7PM, Mom prepared my favorite dish. Do you remember what it is? Yes, she cooked native chicken adobo for me and I ate a lot. I ate more than 2 cups of rice and yes you don’t have any right to get mad, it was your fault. You weren’t there with me to remind me that I was overeating.

She asked me, “Is it still good?”

“Mom, are you kidding me? You’re adobo is not just good, I super love it.” I told her and we laughed. That kind of put a smile on my face, hearing her laugh. It makes me feel that I made her less worry now that I can also laugh too.

“And you know what’s the best part Mom? Having to eat it without Paolo! I can eat rice as much as I want.” I laughed and stopped the moment I noticed she wasn’t taking it as a joke.

“Mom, it’s okay. We can talk about him like how we talk about anyone else in this house. I’m okay. I’m fine.” I reassured her.

She just gave a smile and hugged me. I know mothers have special powers. They feel what their children feel even without telling them. But it’s the least I could do Pao to make her not worry about me.

And you? I hope you are having the best time of your life.

As I remain,

Sab