-1-

phil entered the room and smiled. he had moved to london two weeks to go to university and came earlier to unpack and get himself settled in the area. it was the first time he had ever been anywhere but his home, manchester and he was very excited. he was excited for all the golden opportunities that were just waiting for him to discover, new friends, new courses, new clubs. he was ready. 

he was wearing his favourite lucky outfit, a pastel blue shirt which was slightly baggy on him, with white trousers along with a flower crown balanced on his black hair. although he often went for a soft look, his hair was something else. it was pitch black, which contrasted with his pale skin and he always thought that it was his hair which people thought was strange. since it didn't exactly go with the rest of his 'vibe'. phil had always been heavily judged on his opinions and style, but that never brought him down. he didn't™t care that people called him 'gay',  'weird' and often didn't come near him because they thought he was strange. he was a ray of sunshine.

phil walked over to the other side of the room, which was owned by his new room-mate. the only thing phil knew about his room-mate was his name, and he wondered what he would be like. his room-mate was bound to come today, since this was the official day that all new students had to come and get settled. his room-mate didn't leave any contact details for him to contact him and get to know each other before he arrived, but he felt that it was better this way. it would be a surprise. for him and his new room-mate. dan howell.

phil sat on his bed, admiring his work. having two weeks on his own definitely gave him time to set up his side of the room. he had changed the white bedsheets to his pastel green covers, having a small unicorn and lion plushie placed on top near the corner of the bed beside the pillow. he had a string of fairy lights attached to the frame of the bed, a lilac string hung on the wall beside the bed where he hung pictures of him and his family taken with his pastel pink instax camera which he had set on his desk, along with neatly organised lilac pencil pots with his pencils stacked neatly inside so it looked aesthetically pleasing.

he wondered what his dan would be like. he hoped so much that they would get along. it was his only fear. that they wouldn't. he looked over to the lemon meringues which he made especially for him. he had to make a non-bake recipe since their room only had a small microwave and kettle but he was glad he had the internet. and his internet friends. he wouldn't be able to do anything without them. he sat down on his desk, twirling around the chair and decided between doodling and colouring, eventually choosing to colour and opened up a unicorn colouring book, taking out his kawaii japanese pencils from one of the pots and chose which unicorn he wanted to colour. the pencil hit the piece of paper and phil jumped. it was then that the door opened with force and banged against the wall. dan howell had arrived.

---

dan walked into the room, dragging his suitcase behind him, he looked at the room, one completely white and bare and the other drowned in soft colours and frowned.

"what the actual fuck" he started, only just noticing that blended with all the softness was a boy. a boy just as soft. he was timid, his hands trembling as the pencil he was holding dropped out of his pale hand. never had dan seen someone as pale as this boy, and he didn't know if he was naturally this pale or if it was the sight of dan that made him so ghost-like, the pastelness that he wore was almost as pale as his face.

"h-hi," he whispered, holding out a shaking hand for a handshake. dan smirked, at the shy boy. he wasn't surprised that this boy was already intimidated by him. he was wearing all black, his ears pierced with large black studs and had small tattoo on his arm which phil could only see part of. dan raised an eyebrow, taking the handshake as phil exchanged a faint smile.

"i'm phil lester," he introduced himself and dan nodded. he already knew this. this was the phil lester which he was going to be sharing a room with for at least a year.

"do you need any help unpacking?" he continued, as dan took his suitcase to his side of the room and started ripping the white covers of his bed. dan hesitated, wondering if it was an empty gesture but shook his head. dan made it clear to people that he didn't care what people thought, though inside it was all that he cared about. he voiced his opinion on things as that was one of the things he was good at. which was why he was in london, in university, studying law.