+ c h a p t e r o n e +

Luke

"Put the phone down Luke." Calum said, stepping into the small dressing room to fetch me. I read Megan's response again for the fifth time since I opened the text message. Suddenly the phone's screen was swiped away from my hands as my eyes tried to read it for a sixth time. I looked at Calum as he swiped his look of pity away.

"It's time." I nodded as I headed out the dressing room, and down the backstage where the boys were probably waiting for me.

But I couldn't get the simple words out of my mind. It was like a dark cloud, or a heavy haze wrapped around my head.

"Come on Luke, you can do it." Michael said, his hand slapping my back, trying to cheer me up. But my face just stayed in a straight line as I sighed.

"Luke, we worked on this song for so long! And it's a sign you're moved one! You can do it." Ashton said, trying to be cheerful.

"I guess Calum, it's time for plan B." He nodded at Ashton.

I couldn't do it.

I couldn't sing the song written about that day.

Because the memory plays in my mind everyday.

"Let's go guys! Time to shine!" We heard as our cue to take the stage.

We set up, Ashton sitting behind his drum set, Michael taking his regular spot at the left of the stage. But instead of me taking the center, Calum did and I stepped back, trying stay by Michael.

Before I knew it, the song had started.

And I was left trying not to tear up.

I had faked smiled through the few songs, and I ran off the stage as soon as possible.

"You okay Luke?" Niall turned to me as I ran to the dressing room. I didn't acknowledge him as I just kept on to my destination.

I threw the door open as I grabbed my phone and read the text one last time.

I haven't heard from kyley since she left you, luke.

We all think she moved.

Or hopefully, died.

You should too.

-Megan