Thirteen: Meet Me Inside

Alex

I don't know how long I was sitting on the porch of the Washingtons house. I just sat there. Nobody passes by or stopped to ask me what I was doing so I didn't think about it.

"Alex?"

I cringed when I saw Mr. Washington climb the steps to the porch. He held his papers and such in his large arms.

"Yes sir?"

I knew what was about to happen. He was going to get angry at me for leaving the house and going to the party without permission. And then I'd be off to another foster home or wherever they send me next.

I begin to get anxious. Really anxious.

I don't even realize when Mr. Washington says something.

"Pardon?"

He lowers his eyes.

"Meet me inside."

I gulped, gathering my bag from the floor. I caught the heavy door before it closed, scrambling inside.

Mr. and Mrs. Washington were already seated at the table. I carefully put my bag close to the door, in case I needed to run.

Mrs. Washington patted the seat next to her. I sat down, cautiously.

Mr. Washington looked stern, but Mrs. Washington had a caring smile planted on her round and plump face.

"Alex?"

I gulped and nodded.

"We were made aware by a friend of ours that you were at a party last night."

I cringed and nodded slowly, keeping silent as Mr. Washington spoke.

"A party that wasn't allowed to happen. One that was possibly full of alcohol and drugs?"

His statement sounded like more of a question, like he didn't believe I would sneak out to go to a party.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, looking at my shaky hands in my lap.

Mrs. Washington took a hold of one of my hands comfortingly.

"We aren't angry with you Alex." She said bluntly. "Yes." Mr. Washington agreed. "But..." I gulped and looked back down at my lap.

"We are concerned about who you've been hanging out with." Mrs. Washington stated. I held back a laugh at her using the term 'hanging out', glancing up at her.

"What do you mean?" I asked, starting to be defensive.

"I heard you got into a fight is that correct? Today. With a Charlie Lee?"
Mr. Washington knew the answer. Why was he asking?

"I only fought him because he was making fun of you!" I blurted out. Mrs. Washington let go of my hand, startled by my outburst.

"I do not need you to look out for me, son."

I shake my head.

"I'm not your son."

He glares at me.

"Watch your tone."

I sit back into my chair.

"They said such horrible things Mr. Washington. I couldn't stand there and have it launched at my face." I say, proud of myself for not stuttering.

He shook his head.

"You are free to go." I cocked my head as he said this. "You're not angry about me fighting him?"

He shook his head.

"I know who was truly at fault."

I didn't know what he meant by that, but I brushed it off and crept upstairs to text my friends.

That's something I never thought I'd say.